🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Can i claim under house warranty standing water on the balcony?

Options
hi
We bought the house recently which is only 6 years old and has 10 years warranty.
On the balcony nex to the atelier I noticed that the water is standing so i removed the floor to inspect it. 
It turns out that after removing the floor the water is not draining unless the level gets really high and one place in the balcony feels weakened when i walked over there.

The fix is not going to be cheap so i can kindly ask for advice how would you play it out properly with the company who built the house? Surely the did very poor job but the money they charged were not fake but real earned by hard work and saving.

Obviously i need to find the papers and read them but even then i am green in the subjects related to laws/warrenties etc.

Can you help?

2 pictures atteched. 
Best Regards

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    is your house covered by NHBC? have know a few people who have similar problems with balconies / flat rooves etc and these have been "attended to" (wouldn't always say solved) - through the scheme. One had the slope going the wrong way for the water to drain 
  • mrstingy2022
    mrstingy2022 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    massive thanks for reply
    sorry i am really green - how can i check if my house is covered by nhbc?
    can you please provide bit more baby steps?
  • Flugelhorn
    Options
    You say that the house has 10 year warranty, if it is in the UK then this is likely to be NHBC - have a look through the paperwork you had when you bought the house there should be something about it there 
  • mrstingy2022
    Options
    yes the house is in uk and need to find the papers.
    If I confirm that NHBC is covering it what shall i do next?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I wonder if the raised decking was installed as a 'fix' to the problem rather than correcting the incorrect fall of the original surface?  It would have been a far cheaper option for the builders than redoing the floor of the balcony.
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,965 Forumite
    Options
    Have you spoken with the builders - they may well rectify the problem without going to NHBC.

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,071 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you have a picture of when the standing water isn't there? 
  • Flugelhorn
    Options
    DE_612183 said:
    Have you spoken with the builders - they may well rectify the problem without going to NHBC.

that is definitely a good place to start
  • mrstingy2022
    Options
    i found some papers 

• Flugelhorn
    Options
    LABC is an alternate to NHBC - there is some info on the website about how to claim https://www.labcwarranty.co.uk/news-blog/youre-in-good-hands-the-labc-warranty-claims-process
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure