Rebuilding finances after DMP without credit card

Options
Evening all,

I’m new to this category of the forum , I’ve mostly been over on debt free wannabe areas of the site.

i have just finished my second DMP , my first was 2017 to 2021 and my second 2022 until 2024 (last week). Of course , I’ve had a few defaults, the ones from my first DMP have dropped off my file now but I have 3 accounts that defaulted in 2022. I did have one more but won an unaffordable lending claim.

Now, my credit file is stable, it’s obviously not going to be particularly strong due to my situation but now I am clear of debts , I want to save and rebuild my finances.

I am going to stay away from credit cards for now, even small , credit builder ones. I have been reading about loqbox, does anyone have any experiences or reviews of this system and is it worth my time ? I wonder if there are any other ways , aside from credit cards to improve my file.

i know time is a healer in terms of my defaults but i want to put my best foot forward and rebuild what i (quite frankly) burnt down to the ground!

If anyone has experience of rebuilding after clearing debt , I’d love to hear and tips and tricks!!

Regards 

ps. I do go into more depth about my situation in my diary linked in signature for some more background. I know it sounds mad being on back to back DMPs but I have learnt my lesson trust me xxxx
Debt free April 2024 !! 

dfd:
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6510394/champagne-supernova-s-debt-free-to-savaholic-diary/p

Second half of 2024 savings goals:
£0/£1000 emergency fund 
£0/£1000 Rainy Day 

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you don't want CC then anything credit contract would be ideal e.g. SIM only mobile phone deal

A CC is no bad thing though, a credit builder card will often have a low limit of say £200-£300 and can be locked for credit limit increases, spending a small amount per month and paying off in full by DD is the simplest way to rebuild credit history
  • ChampagneSupernova36
    ChampagneSupernova36 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 May at 11:38AM
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    If you don't want CC then anything credit contract would be ideal e.g. SIM only mobile phone deal

A CC is no bad thing though, a credit builder card will often have a low limit of say £200-£300 and can be locked for credit limit increases, spending a small amount per month and paying off in full by DD is the simplest way to rebuild credit history
    Thank you but after 2 DMPs credit is unlikely but also want to avoid until I am 100% sure I can be trusted with it. I’ve definitely formed new habits on my DMP budgets , I just want no temptation (trust me, i found ways to get increases and all sorts) 

cheers 
    E
    Debt free April 2024 !! 

dfd:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6510394/champagne-supernova-s-debt-free-to-savaholic-diary/p

£0/£1000 emergency fund 
    £0/£1000 Rainy Day 

• JonVarnas
    JonVarnas Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think it's time and stability that's the main healer. I had a DRO in 2020, so my credit file was, and still is, shot to hell. For three years the only things credit-wise that was reported on there was bank account, my mobile account and water utiities. Last year I did a few eligibility checks with the likes of Capital One, Vanquis, etc, and they didn't want to know which to be honest I wasn't surprised about. Then about three months later Capital One emailed me inviting me to try again, so I gave it ago and this time I was successful. I was only expecting a couple of hundred quid limit at best but after the full credit check they gave me £1000 limit! And my DRO entry still has another 2 and a half years before it drops off.
  • ChampagneSupernova36
    Options
    JonVarnas said:
    I think it's time and stability that's the main healer. I had a DRO in 2020, so my credit file was, and still is, shot to hell. For three years the only things credit-wise that was reported on there was bank account, my mobile account and water utiities. Last year I did a few eligibility checks with the likes of Capital One, Vanquis, etc, and they didn't want to know which to be honest I wasn't surprised about. Then about three months later Capital One emailed me inviting me to try again, so I gave it ago and this time I was successful. I was only expecting a couple of hundred quid limit at best but after the full credit check they gave me £1000 limit! And my DRO entry still has another 2 and a half years before it drops off.
    Thank you !

when I finished my DMP in 2020 I was very quickly offered credit again ( one was capital one with a £1200 limit) and was right back on a DMP at the end of 2021 with 6 cards and one high interest loan eeek so I am a bit worried about cards as it’s been a slippery slope for me in the past

youre right tough , I guess time is the healer now 
    Debt free April 2024 !! 

dfd:

£0/£1000 emergency fund 
    £0/£1000 Rainy Day 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family