Link Financial Full and final Settlement Offer Advice

Options
Happy bank holiday Monday everyone,

I have a debt with Link Financial which I have ignored for about 4 years. Before I contact them, can I check if anyone has had any recent success with Link Financial regarding a full and final settlement as I would like to see if its worth going down this route with them.

Thank you

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you've not paid anything off this debt, nor acknowledged in writing, you might just want to let it go statute barred? 6 years in England and Wales, 5 years in Scotland.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That's what I was going to say, what is the reason for wanting to pay it off after 4 years? 
  • bankholidaymonday
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I would like to rectify my credit report as I would like to apply for a mortgage in the next 5 years and I am unsure if ignoring the debt and making it unenforceable will impact the process negatively in the future.
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 May at 5:06PM
    Options
    It will have dropped off your credit report by then so nobody except Link will know whether it was settled or not.

If you don't settle it then there is a risk that Link may try and get a CCJ against you which would stay on your credit report for longer. If they did try then they would probably be open to a settlement offer then so you could keep the money safe until it becomes statute barred in case that happens. If you make an offer now then you will have acknowledged it and reset the statute barred clock.
  • bankholidaymonday
    Options
    Thank you again for the advice. I have received letters from Link already so I am unsure if I can hold out another two years. I don't know how quick they are to act for a non priority debt. 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,972 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you again for the advice. I have received letters from Link already so I am unsure if I can hold out another two years. I don't know how quick they are to act for a non priority debt. 
    Depends what you mean by "act", assuming you are not currently paying this debt, they may continue with collection activity, or they may not.

If its court action that worries you, then a pre-action letter with a 30 day return window would be the first step in that dance, at that point all options are still on the table.

So you can continue to wait out the limitation period, you will have plenty of warning and time to act if things change.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • bankholidaymonday
    Options
    Yes, "act" as in Court Action, Apologies for not making that clear.

I am very happy with the level of advice received and thank you again for your time on the matter.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback