Passport validity, check BEFORE booking a trip.

Options
I can't believe the amount of people still getting caught out by the European passport rules.
Your passport is valid for 10yrs FROM THE DATE OF ISSUE.... ANY MONTHS ADDED AFTER THAT  DO NOT COUNT...  SO JAN/JAN. FEB/FEB ETC

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I can't believe the amount of people still getting caught out by the European passport rules.
    Your passport is valid for 10yrs FROM THE DATE OF ISSUE.... ANY MONTHS ADDED AFTER THAT  DO NOT COUNT...  SO JAN/JAN. FEB/FEB ETC
    For entry to EU.

For exit/ return to UK it is valid until the date shown on the passport.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As above, I can't believe the amount of people still misquoting the rules like that!

Every time anyone starts one of these threads, there's always someone who misrepresents the rule in that way, thereby adding to the confusion rather than clearing it up:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6516593/10-years-rule-for-passport
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,367 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    And it instills panic in people to whom this doesn't at all apply.  Like those who have an alternative passport.  Surely the number of those in the UK must be substantial.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • eskbanker
    Options
    Brie said:
    And it instills panic in people to whom this doesn't at all apply.  Like those who have an alternative passport.  Surely the number of those in the UK must be substantial.
    Contrary to what some hysterical tabloids may claim, these aren't new rules vindictively imposed as punishment on the UK by unelected EU bureaucrats (blah, blah, blah) but are simply a reiteration of the standard existing situation for non-EU nationals visiting the Schengen area:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-nationals/index_en.htm

so it's not an issue specifically relating to UK passports as such, but any non-EU ones.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As a aside does anyone know what would happen if a flight overflying EU had to divert and unload passengers, needing a overnight stay.
  • eskbanker
    Options
    Eldi_Dos said:
    As a aside does anyone know what would happen if a flight overflying EU had to divert and unload passengers, needing a overnight stay.
    I don't know, but there must be many such possible scenarios around the world where flights pass over countries with entry requirements that may not be satisfied by all passengers, such as those necessitating visas, etc, so I presume there must be some sort of international protocol that deals with emergency situations like that?
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Eldi_Dos said:
    There will be protocols for such events, but it would depend on each country and also the pragmatism of the border force officials on the day.

In the storms earlier in the year a couple of UK domestic flights ended up diverting to the continent and not all passengers were carrying passports so couldn't leave the airport. Edinburgh to Bristol easyJet flyers 'stuck in Paris airport' as flight diverted in storm - Edinburgh Live
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Heathrow has a special area in T3 airside to cater for the exact scenario or transferring passengers being stranded there overnight
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Thread title:

Passport validity, check BEFORE booking a trip.

I don't understand why anybody wouldn't do this - regardless of where they are travelling to.

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    sheramber said:
    For exit/ return to UK it is valid until the date shown on the passport.
    Assuming we are talking a UK passport then technically the valid until date is irrelevant if you can get to the UK border as you have a statutory right to enter the country as a citizen... just may be very hard to get to the border with an out of date passport. 

Guessing you aren't taking a small boat across the channel then the real challenge will be the airport check in staff who are only human and can make mistakes. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback