Does faster payments work instantly on bank holidays?

Options
premiumz
premiumz Posts: 108 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 5 May at 4:52PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
They are usually instant or withing 2 hours on a normal working day. Is that the same for bank holidays?

Thanks

(Sending from Lloyds bank)

Comments

• surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Usually. I've never noticed any difference, unless you're sending the money to a building society with old-fashioned computers that don't process the payment until the following working day 
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    System maintenance is undertaken on non workings days. 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    premiumz said:
    They are usually instant or withing 2 hours on a normal working day. Is that the same for bank holidays?

Thanks

(Sending from Lloyds bank)
    Depends on who you are sending too.

Many institutions do not process faster payments themselves. So they are more likely to be by the end of the next working day.
    Which is the actual timescale for faster payments.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I sent one from Barclays to Monzo today, arrived instantly.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Bank Holidays are the same as Sundays in my experience. Normally the payment shows up straight away but with some of the old fashioned banks the date shown is the next working day. 
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I’ve worked for two agency (not direct FP participants) banks since faster payments were introduced.

The first one received 3 or 4 files per day which we uploaded to our system. 

The second one started off like that but has changed and our GBP correspondent now converts our incoming FPs to MT103s so they’re credited much quicker. I don’t work in that area so can’t give further details but it’s likely that it’s a speedy process. 

This is not to say that all banks will be doing this, I’m just mentioning it to show that different options can be used. 

I hate verisimilitude.
  • begbeer
    begbeer Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    asked santander to transfer money this morning at 9.30am still not in the other account, according to them I must not panic until close of day tomorrow
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    begbeer said:
    asked santander to transfer money this morning at 9.30am still not in the other account, according to them I must not panic until close of day tomorrow
    Where are you sending money to?  In some cases, the service level is indeed the end of the next business day:

Where both the sending and receiving bank or building society are direct participants of the Faster Payment System, funds are usually available almost immediately, although they can sometimes take up to two hours.

These timescales can still apply if either the sending or receiving bank is not a direct participant. Some payments will take longer, especially outside of normal working hours.

As a minimum, all financial institutions in the UK must abide by the Payment Services Directive (PSD) –  this states that any payments made by mobile, internet or phone banking (including standing orders) must arrive by the end of the following business day at the latest.

https://www.wearepay.uk/what-we-do/payment-systems/faster-payment-system/how-faster-payments-work/

Even if the recipient is a direct participant, payments may sometimes be held for additional checking....
  • begbeer
    begbeer Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    is going to Lloyds, so should be no reason why not received . and the account was already set up on Santander so know that I had not made a mistake in sort code or account number. its wasn't even that large under £500. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback