Insuring a Home Battery against Theft

Options
I am soon to have a home battery system installed. The installer has advised that new regulations 'recommend' the battery is installed on an exterior wall. The exterior wall in case is on my property, but there is no gate between the public footpath and the wall. I am concerned that it could be possible for someone to crowbar the battery off the wall and make off with £6000 worth of home battery. There is nothing mentioned in my home insurance regards this. Would I be insured. What have others done ?

Comments

• Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 May at 5:16PM
    Options
    Mounting on an exterior wall (but inside a building) and mounted externally are not the same thing.

Ask for the regulation or recommendation documentation so you can determine what is fact.

Then, ask your insurers if they'd want special precautions taken.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Security nuts, steel cages and hiding them in a wooden shed are all options. I would go with all of them!  

These are the nuts you want: Security Scroll (Wave) Nuts - Stainless Steel A2 - Security Scroll (Wave) Nuts - Stainless Steel A2 - Security Nuts - Security Fasteners - Fasteners | Shop4Fasteners

Fit them to stainless steel studding set in resin. 

This is the sort of steel cage you might use: Air Conditioning Cage Various Sizes Available | Security Cages Direct

And something like this shed: 6x3 Mercia Overlap Premium Tall Wooden Garden Storage | Buy Sheds Direct

The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If there is a risk of theft, is there also one of vandalism that needs to be considered too?

Insurers may treat that as two separate perils.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I am concerned that it could be possible for someone to crowbar the battery off the wall and make off with £6000 worth of home battery.
    It might be possible but I don't think it's likely. Home batteries are heavy and it would take some organisation and planning. Most thefts are opportunistic and organised gangs are more likely to target property that they can move easily. Given the value involved, I guess that making sure the risk is covered is still important and you should confirm cover with your insurance company.
  • ThorOdinson
    ThorOdinson Posts: 67 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mgfvvc said:
    I am concerned that it could be possible for someone to crowbar the battery off the wall and make off with £6000 worth of home battery.
    It might be possible but I don't think it's likely. Home batteries are heavy and it would take some organisation and planning. Most thefts are opportunistic and organised gangs are more likely to target property that they can move easily. Given the value involved, I guess that making sure the risk is covered is still important and you should confirm cover with your insurance company.
    Plus the fact that the high voltage would probably injure or kill the thief when they tried to remove it with bolt cutters. 

There is a reason they don't steal EV batteries either.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    mgfvvc said:
    Plus the fact that the high voltage would probably injure or kill the thief when they tried to remove it with bolt cutters. 
    That doesn't seem to deter some of them from trying to steal live copper wires...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback