Boiler died - does immersion work?

Options
How do I know if my immersion works? I've never used it before. It's buzzing and it's been on a half hour but the water coming out the taps isn't hot, just not freezing. 
How long does it normally take to heat a 170ltr tank? 

I can live with the boiler being dead, as long as we have hot water still 🤞

Comments

• JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,525 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    1 minute per litre, so just under 3 hours.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,457 Forumite
    Options
    JGB1955 said:
    1 minute per litre, so just under 3 hours.
    Thanks. That's a long time! 
    I'll check back in a few hours with hopefully good news 🙏🙏
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    housebuyer143 said: I can live with the boiler being dead, as long as we have hot water still 🤞
    With the weather warming up, you are not under so much pressure to get the boiler fixed. So you can avoid emergency call out fees, and shop around if it is beyond economical repair.
    If you go for a new boiler, worth fitting larger radiators based on a flow temperature of 50-60°C (or lower). This would push the boiler further in to condensing mode and return slightly higher efficiency. Although, if the boiler does need replacing, have a look at heat pumps - Octopus quoted me £2700 (subject to survey) which isn't much more than a gas boiler would cost.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • housebuyer143
    Options
    It appears to be working! I'm just going to leave it on permanently because it's not realistic to wait 3 hours for a tank of water to heat. Dread to see my electric bill. 
    It's probably a new boiler job tbh as it's 24 years old. 
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    3kW Immersion Heater vs. Gas Boiler - you can expect the boiler to heat the tank about three times more quickly as the cylinders usually have a 8kW coil in them.  
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 May at 12:48PM
    Options
    It appears to be working! I'm just going to leave it on permanently because it's not realistic to wait 3 hours for a tank of water to heat. Dread to see my electric bill. 
    Just hope the immersion thermostat (assuming there is one) is working!
  • housebuyer143
    Options
    Just hope the immersion thermostat (assuming there is one) is working!
    Ha ha ha here's hoping. It appears to have gone off now - the buzzing has stopped. 
  • Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 509 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you have a smart meter in home display, you'll know the immersion is working because your current usage will jump up by 3kW
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,599 Forumite
    Options
    Normally though you are not heating the water from stone cold. If the tank is hot, then even if you have a couple of showers, it is likely to be still at least tepid, so will not take so long to heat up.
    Although if you have an old copper hot water tank, with lagging around it, it will not keep the heat in very well compared to a modern hot water tank.
    You may want to consider a combi boiler and do away with the hot water tank altogether, depending on how heavy your hot water usage is.
  • housebuyer143
    Options
    Normally though you are not heating the water from stone cold. If the tank is hot, then even if you have a couple of showers, it is likely to be still at least tepid, so will not take so long to heat up.
    Although if you have an old copper hot water tank, with lagging around it, it will not keep the heat in very well compared to a modern hot water tank.
    You may want to consider a combi boiler and do away with the hot water tank altogether, depending on how heavy your hot water usage is.
    Thanks, we have a megaflow cylinder so it's really good, and only 18 months old. I really like the tank and in this case it's super useful to have a back up for hot water. We don't use that much hot water really, normally only heat it 20 mins in morning and 20 mins in evening and that is normally enough. 

Good point regarding the water, it's not likely to be cold because we don't normally run the water to cold when using it. Hard to know what's best, but it's probably cheaper to turn it on for a few hours morning and evening. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback