Keeping insects out

Options
Dannydee333
Dannydee333 Posts: 117 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I've bought my first home, a ground-floor apartment.

I came from a rented second-floor apartment and had almost no issues with insects or spiders in the 12 years I lived there. In my unprofessional opinion, this must be because I was at least 30 feet from the ground.

Anyway, literally the next day after I moved in, there was a spider, a millipede and a slug in my kitchen, that had apparently came through the patio doors, or from underneath it. There was a very big space all the way across the bottom of the patio doors and the kitchen tiles which I promptly filled in with chaulk acrylic.

Then I went around all the skirting boards and filled in all and any cracks I could find. Today I was sitting in my home office and I looked down and a woodlouse had come through another crack I missed. So, again today I had the chaulk gun out, doing more filling.

I'm determined to block up absolutely every nook and cranny that I can possibly find. Is this an effective method to keep these ugly turds out? Is there more I could be doing?

Even when I fill in every crack I can find, I know there are still more places where things can slip through. Like behind the washing machine where there are significant holes in the plaster, or under the sink, etc. I'm thinking about buying those cans of foam and blocking everything up with that stuff too. Is that a good idea?

I'd appreciate all advice and methods I can use, please. I'm not used to this !!!!!! and even though I've taken significant measures against it, the problem is not completely gone yet and I need it to be a non-issue as soon as possible.

Comments

• Bookworm105
    Bookworm105 Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sell up and go back to your parents home?
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Two things.
    Are you sure you're not bringing them in on your shoes, clothes?
    Check the mortar in the bricks outside.
    Also is there an airbrick under the patio doors? Do not bung this up. If there is then tape some gauze over it but allow the air in.

Has the place been empty for a while?

But you won't stop spiders. They will come in open doors or windows.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Dannydee333
    Options
    sell up and go back to your parents home?
    That's a very useful response. Thank you for the advice.

I can't, tho. I'm a strong independent man now.
  • Dannydee333
    edited 5 May at 1:28AM
    Options
    twopenny said:
    Two things.
    Also is there an airbrick under the patio doors? Do not bung this up. If there is then tape some gauze over it but allow the air in.

It's definitely not from shoes or clothes. I have a small outside garden half paved half grass and at night and when it's wet you can see the slugs and millipedes and stuff. Of course, I'm sure I'll need to weed out and bleach and poison the hell out of that little backyard at some point to hopefully kill everything in range but I need to take care of the inside as much as possible first.

There is no airbrick but the patio doors and windows (all PVC) definitely need some maintenance for they are not airtight and cold air is seeping through some of them. Plus the bottom corner of one of the patio doors is worn away a bit (the PVC) which needs mending as things could almost certainly get through. Rain is also seeping through at the bottom, which will fall under the maintenance/repair they need.

Is PCV doors and window repairs a thing? Surely I don't have to replace them all.

The building is only 15 years old but my place has been empty for several years.

I never got spiders in my old apartment tho, and I believed that was because I was so high up. Does that matter or was I just lucky?
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    twopenny said:
    Two things.

It's definitely not from shoes or clothes. I have a small outside garden half paved half grass and at night and when it's wet you can see the slugs and millipedes and stuff. Of course, I'm sure I'll need to weed out and bleach and poison the hell out of that little backyard at some point to hopefully kill everything in range but I need to take care of the inside as much as possible first.
    I think it's a pity in the garden especially you can't just accept nature for what it is - personally I'm fine with spiders, they deal with any flies that come in,  slugs and snails belong in the garden. 

But if you really want rid indoors, I find thorough daily vacuuming helps - if your place has been empty for a while, the critters will have secreted themselves in lots of places, sealing the place up won't deal with those that are already "in" and stops them leaving.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I love a few spiders around the house, they save on fly spray. Sorry to be a pedant but spiders are arachnids, slugs are molluscs and centipedes are myriarpoda (none of them have 6 legs).

As you seem to hate wildlife so much you really should avoid anywhere with a garden. 

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Lunatic - i had no idea!

I agree with dealing with the frames first.

Count yourself lucky. My tiny bungalow had ants running up the living room wall when I viewed it.
    Thought I'd dealt with it and one night sat on the setee they were runing up my leg  :#

Place had been empty so long they'd eaten through the mortar under the patio doors, air brick and concrete floor.
    Once remortared and sealed job was a good'un.

Had to re do the patio flags as they were at home under there. That's something to check.

No point in poisoning what's there. More will move in.
    Use your bleach in a spray bottle and spray the brick where the house meets the ground and about 1 ft up to eliminate scent trails.

Thinking once the place is lived in you won't have a problem.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• SuzeQStan
    SuzeQStan Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    We found slugs were getting in around the obv door seal so we put salt down at their point of ingress
    Lancashire
    PV 5.04kWp 
    🐙 Go

Mortgage freedom January 2024 - paid off 7 years early by making overpayments where we could.

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Dannydee333 said: I'm thinking about buying those cans of foam and blocking everything up with that stuff too. Is that a good idea?
    If you are going to use expanding foam, get a gun (the cheap plastic ones from ebay are just as good as the expensive metal ones from place like Screwfix). Use the nozzle from a mastic/sealant cartridge to get the foam in to tight spaces, and don't try to squirt too much in - With a gun, you'll have much better control over just how much foam gets applied.
    If you get any foam on surfaces you don't want it, do not try to wipe it up straight away. Leave it to fully harden, and it will peal off. Same if you get any on clothing or carpets.
    Once you are done using the foam, clean the gun thoroughly - Even better if you can disassemble it and soak the parts in acetone (particularly the bit where the can screws on to).

Slugs and woodlice like damp & moist conditions. That they are coming inside suggests you may have an issue with penetrating damp in some areas. Your survey should have picked up on any problem areas.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback