PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is a contribution towards rent and bills income

Options
I have lived alone for over 10 years so a little out the loop 

my partner is due to move in, we intend to split all bills and rent (obviously all in my name) 

I am both employed full time and self employed part time and I do not claim any benefits 

does his split of the bills and rent count as income ? I have done a google search and not sure, I complete a self assement each year for my business so I don’t want to get this wrong 

he intends to pay this to contribution to my back account each month on bill /rent day which I’m happy with for now anyhow 

I just wanted to check this is legal and not going to be seen as income for hmrc I’m happy to declare it if that’s the case 

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,117 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    No, it is his contribution to the running costs and rent of the home.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • pjs493
    pjs493 Posts: 438 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Kcourtney said:
    I have lived alone for over 10 years so a little out the loop 

my partner is due to move in, we intend to split all bills and rent (obviously all in my name) 

I am both employed full time and self employed part time and I do not claim any benefits 

does his split of the bills and rent count as income ? I have done a google search and not sure, I complete a self assement each year for my business so I don’t want to get this wrong 

he intends to pay this to contribution to my back account each month on bill /rent day which I’m happy with for now anyhow 

I just wanted to check this is legal and not going to be seen as income for hmrc I’m happy to declare it if that’s the case 

As you’ll be living together as a couple, no. If you were to take in a lodger and receive room and board from them it would be a different story because you’d essentially be renting out a room which would be considered an income. 

One thing to look into would be to check with your landlord to see if they are happy for your partner to move in and keep your current contract, or whether they’d prefer it to be in both names going forward. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback