Pause/fast forward programmes

Options
flyer
flyer Posts: 2,215 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I recently cancelled my Sky subscription due to cost, and now have the standard TV channels on my smart tv. However, my wife is fed up of having to sit through adverts whilst watching shows. She prefers to record them and be able to skip through them. Is there any way of doing this? I don't have an aerial by the way.
Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does your TV have the ability to record what you are watching? Some do albeit with the addition of a recording medium eg hard drive or USB stick.

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A recordable Freesat box that's compatible with whatever Sky LNB you have (HD+ and Q are different).
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Only one freesat box currently made / on sale and that can use both $ky Q wideband LNB or the older Legacy LNB for $ky+HD.  https://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/set-top-boxes/recordable-4k-tv-box

If TV has sat inputs, two will be needed to record more than one programme at a time to an attached HDD (USB sticks are not recommended!).  TVs need a Legacy type (aka Universal) LNB so different one if you had $ky Q.
  • flyer
    Options
    Does your TV have the ability to record what you are watching? Some do albeit with the addition of a recording medium eg hard drive or USB stick.

No it doesn't
  • flyer
    Options
    A recordable Freesat box that's compatible with whatever Sky LNB you have (HD+ and Q are different).

As mentioned.  I don't have Sky anymore
  • flyer
    Options
    Rodders53 said:
    Only one freesat box currently made / on sale and that can use both $ky Q wideband LNB or the older Legacy LNB for $ky+HD.  https://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/set-top-boxes/recordable-4k-tv-box

If TV has sat inputs, two will be needed to record more than one programme at a time to an attached HDD (USB sticks are not recommended!).  TVs need a Legacy type (aka Universal) LNB so different one if you had $ky Q.
    But I don't have Sky any more
  • JSmithy45AD
    edited 5 May at 8:33PM
    Options
    flyer said:

You don't have a satellite dish or you don't subscribe to Sky and the Q box has gone back? If the former fair enough, if the latter you've not understood the posts.
  • flyer
    Options
    flyer said:

You don't a satellite dish or you don't subscribe to Sky and the Q box has gone back? If the former fair enough, if the latter you've not understood the posts.
    Both. So I guess I haven't but thought they were saying I need to have some sort of Sky equipment?
  • JSmithy45AD
    Options
    flyer said:
    flyer said:

You don't a satellite dish or you don't subscribe to Sky and the Q box has gone back? If the former fair enough, if the latter you've not understood the posts.
    Both. So I guess I haven't but thought they were saying I need to have some sort of Sky equipment?
    No, Freesat just needs a dish, the same way Freeview needs an aerial. Broadband is usually required as well for the apps.
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,389 Forumite
    edited 5 May at 9:24PM
    Options
    you buy yourself a PVR which has a hard drive in for recording TV programs 

if you want to connect it to your Sky satellite dish then you need a free sat box 

if on the other hand you either have or you install an ordinary TV aerial then you need a Freeview box

whichever box you choose it connects to your TV via an HDMI lead and you have to select HDMI on the TV to view it
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback