Please educate me on phone charger speeds

Options
FrankFalcon
FrankFalcon Posts: 137 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Hi all

genuinely baffled here. Have owned iPhones for years. In my cupboard/car/desk/coat etc.etc I have amassed loads of chargers. Probably some from Poundland, some original Apple, some from Amazon etc, etc… I’m sure a lot of you get my drift. So, I get in my new VW car and plug my iPhone into the white lightning cable (the other end is In car USB C). I’m not sure why but this seems to charge the phone VERY fast. If I don’t use the cable and put my phone in the glove box the phone charges albeit slower. I plug it into the wall next to my bed- Rapid charge. So, here’s the bit that confuses me…
I go to my Campervan. In the Cigarette lighter socket I have a charger connector. I plug it in here. The phone charges nowhere near as fast. So, in my glovebox in this van I have USB C. I plug the phone into a cable and directly into usb c but again, I’m not blown away with charging speed. I mount the phone on a magnetic, wireless charger on windscreen (to use phone as sat nav) and again… rubbish charge speed. 
What is going on guys?
Is it the quality of the cable that allows fast charge? Is the hardware bit (ie, 3 pin 240v plug, cigarette lighter adapter etc). 
Basically, I just want the fastest charger setup in all instances, whilst learning a bit too. 
Thanks all. 

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 May at 8:33AM
    Options
    Lots of info in t'interweb but generally you need the right charger and especially the right cable - they are not all created equally and may not all be compatible with fast charging your device. Most of them will charge it slowly but fast charging needs the proper charger and cable combo and of course Apple want to do it differently to everyone else

Have a look here - https://youtu.be/nNWVwvAtY1Y and here https://youtu.be/cqR_bwJi_e4
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,399 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Different chargers have different voltage and current outputs. i.e. power ratings

When you connect a charger to a device the two negotiate to determine the fastest but safest charging rate. This is in fact a continuous process and the device will vary the voltage and/or current throughout the charging cycle. Depending on how the battery is reacting, temperature etc. 

Now - cables.  The most basic cables are charge only and consist of a direct cable connection. The charger and device will act cautiously. 

Better cables (the vast majority) have a small chip in the USB-C plug which takes part in the negotiation so that the power doesn’t exceed the rating of the cable. For example Poundland sell two similar USB-C capable one rated at 25W and one at 65W. 

So for optimum charging, go for a cable that has a rating in either amps or watts and a charger that is also rated preferably in watts. 

(The exception to all this is some Android phones that support very fast charging [over 100W] They require special chargers and cables because all the brains is in the charger and it’s the charger that gets hot not the battery)
  • Monanore
    Monanore Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Is it the quality of the cable that allows fast charge? Is the hardware bit (ie, 3 pin 240v plug, cigarette lighter adapter etc). 
    Basically, I just want the fastest charger setup in all instances, whilst learning a bit too. 
    Thanks all. 

The way I understand why there are different speeds is that it's all based on watts = volts x amps - written on the charger or in the car's USB spec.  Phones charge at 5V, which can't be changed. USB sockets in chargers or cars have different amperages - and the device ( the phone ) will "draw" however many amps it wants or can cope with if they are available - hence the different speeds.
    I'm not sure about cables.  All I know is that cables can overheat if a device tries to draw too many amps through them - which is why you need to look at the rating of the cable.

• EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 401 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Monanore said:

Thanks all. 

The way I understand why there are different speeds is that it's all based on watts = volts x amps - written on the charger or in the car's USB spec.  Phones charge at 5V, which can't be changed. USB sockets in chargers or cars have different amperages - and the device ( the phone ) will "draw" however many amps it wants or can cope with if they are available - hence the different speeds.
    I'm not sure about cables.  All I know is that cables can overheat if a device tries to draw too many amps through them - which is why you need to look at the rating of the cable.

phones can charge at any USB  voltage 

QC and AFCC  oveffered 9v  over USB A connections  a good ferw years ago 

PD over USB C  offers all kindso f voltages and currents 
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The 'phone usually negotiates a suitable charge level with the charger. But some chargers are programmed by the lead.

Tbh, most people look to not use fast charge as it tends to make the battery life shorter, even if the 'phone doesn't burst as the battery swells.

If I plug my phone in the USB C it turbo charges, but plugging into USB-A with an adaptor lead it slow charges, which is far better. I only charge to around 80% too, and discharge to around 30%.

Meanwhile, plugging the tablet into the same USB-C lead as turbo charged the 'phone, it only slow charges, it needs it's own fast charger to fast charge.

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    What an item claims to do and what it actually does, you would need to check testing reviews vlogs because it's a grey area, especially when you're buying online platforms. You can buy testing adaptors for doing your own analysis but you've bought the cable by that point, yes you have consumer rights to return it if needed depending on country of origin. 
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,399 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Monanore said:

Thanks all. 

This is not correct, the phone and charger negotiate a current and voltage between them. 

All but the very cheapest cables (eg Temu) have a chip in them to prevent drawing two much current. (Even Poundland cables have them )
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback