Amused about Playstations etc for the over 50s.Help Required Please

Options
I have just retired and browsing through the What to do in Retirement pages I was amused to see that a number of retirees are involved with Computer Games.

This may be something that I would like to do.I remember when Sonic The Hedgehog first came out I thought....I would love to have the time to play something like that....and now I have.

Im looking for the cheapest way to set myself up.Good Start......I have a 55 inch TV in my lounge.

I realise that things have moved on since Sonic and would be interested in all aspects (games wise).

So probably using ebay (secondhand) what is the minimum tool I require to load the games please...and where do I get the games please ...are they downloaded now??

This may end up a huge waste of time so want to keep costs down to a minimum.

Thanks In Advance.

Comments

• Auti
    Auti Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Can get 2nd hand consoles and games from CEX - we use (all ages inc small children) a Wii and xbox 360 which we have had for decades (xbox itself was replaced with second hand one from CEX when original one broke) and lots of games that are bought cheaply. CEX do a whole variety of makes and recent consoles too that can work on your tv.

We like the games where you actually have to be physical playing the sports etc - children love it and I get to keep fit - doesn‘t have to be expensive.

If you have a computer/phone can go into App Store and there will be games on there you can pay for and download.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 May at 8:04AM
    Options
    As a gamer since the first Space Invaders and the like, I still play now but not so much (as I haven't retired yet, 5 years to go!!) . I think the main thing to consider is what sort of games do you want to play and buy second-hand accordingly, both for the console itself and availability of said games....and then enjoy!!

Me, I'm a dedicated Resident Evil player (well, up to RE5, they wrecked 6 onwards) and I'm still in the world top 5000 on most maps on RE5 The Merceneries (including a 270-odd rank on Missile Area :D which I only got relatively recently...who said over 50's can't game, we grew up with them!!)

p.s. if you buy second-hand from CEX, the consoles are guaranteed which is a definite plus..
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Mustbeananswer??
    Mustbeananswer?? Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Auti said:
    Can get 2nd hand consoles and games from CEX - we use (all ages inc small children) a Wii and xbox 360 which we have had for decades (xbox itself was replaced with second hand one from CEX when original one broke) and lots of games that are bought cheaply. CEX do a whole variety of makes and recent consoles too that can work on your tv.

We like the games where you actually have to be physical playing the sports etc - children love it and I get to keep fit - doesn‘t have to be expensive.

If you have a computer/phone can go into App Store and there will be games on there you can pay for and download.
    GunJack said:
    As a gamer since the first Space Invaders and the like, I still play now but not so much (as I haven't retired yet, 5 years to go!!) . I think the main thing to consider is what sort of games do you want to play and buy second-hand accordingly, both for the console itself and availability of said games....and then enjoy!!

Me, I'm a dedicated Resident Evil player (well, up to RE5, they wrecked 6 onwards) and I'm still in the world top 5000 on most maps on RE5 The Merceneries (including a 270-odd rank on Missile Area :D which I only got relatively recently...who said over 50's can't game, we grew up with them!!)

p.s. if you buy second-hand from CEX, the consoles are guaranteed which is a definite plus..
    GunJack said:

Thank you both for your Conntribution 
  • MarzipanCrumble
    MarzipanCrumble Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends what tech you got and what you want to play - 

I like open ended, collaborative games where you team up to play.  So started in early 70's with Dungeons and Dragons (paper/rule book based) and moved on in late 90's to Ultima Online to which I got adicted and had to back away from by dropping entirely.  

Have played World of Warcraftwhich is an open ended world, collaborative or not, with distinct game challanges which gives a structure if you are solo or a smallteam - you have a choice to do or not which is not detrimental to progression.

I have gone back recently to Dungeons & Dragons in its paper form, meetingevery 2 weeks togo through linked campaigns with a Dungeon Master  and 4 other players. Really, really satisfying. 

In my town there is a venue called (don't laugh) The Geek Place and they play face to face games with models most evenings and sometimes during the daylight hours.  Maybe there is onein your town too - google? 
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's a whole world of puzzle games out there too if you like that kind of thing. Google Draknek and Friends for some examples.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yea I did old style dungeons and dragons at leeds  uni..early 90s...got a ps4 ..play neverwinter  and fallout 76...couple times a week...
  • Hgvdriverjon
    Hgvdriverjon Posts: 5 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I have been playing playstation games since the first console, mainly racing games, I normally buy from Cex as much cheaper than brand new on day release
  • MarzipanCrumble
    MarzipanCrumble Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is a way to play D&D online through Roll 20 - for me that was a life saver over Covid lockdown.  But it needs a tech savvy Dungeon Master and reasonable IT competence from the players.
    https://roll20.net/
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,352 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Well @ 62 and semi retired you have got me thinking I will boot up my old Xbox One (god knows how long it will take to update) and get back to playing COD
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • Mustbeananswer??
    Mustbeananswer?? Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 May at 1:36PM
    Options

Indout96 said:
    Well @ 62 and semi retired you have got me thinking I will boot up my old Xbox One (god knows how long it will take to update) and get back to playing COD
    Tbh I was just scouting through a number of threads on here to find out what retirees are doing and Gym and Playstation seeemed very popular.You will never catch me in the Gym and Im still pondering on the Playstation and games (they seem to have gone up a lot??).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback