Insurance to cover cancelled events (for ticket holders)

Options
Hi,

The debakle with the new Co-op Live Arena has got me thinking...

I like going to concerts and I buy my tickets months in advance. I then plan a weekend away around the trip. Currently I have tickets booked for events in October and November, and am about to book accomodation. Travel will be booked later in the year but will be by train so will be booked well in advance of the gig dates to get the best price. 

My question is what kind of insurance, if any, would cover my costs if the gig is cancelled or re-scheduled after the deadline for cancelling/re-arraning my accomodation and travel (noting that one of the Co-op Live events was cancelled while people were queueing to get into the venue!)?

I don't think the ticket insurance that the likes of Ticketmaster flog covers this type of expense. 

What do other people do - have insurance, try to book flexible accomodation, or just take the risk?

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,941 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    TheBanker said:

What do other people do - have insurance, try to book flexible accomodation, or just take the risk?
    I don't go to many events these days but I've never found insurance that would cover expenses that aren't directly related to the cancellation or postponement of the event itself - I'd be interested to see if there is any. 

Most events I've been to are in large cities so I tend to view them as the centrepiece for a weekend break, and so if the event itself was cancelled I'd still go ,with some alternative ways of  occupying my time lined up.

If it was something more out in the sticks with not much else to do then I'd try to make any bookings as flexible as possible. 

• TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    TheBanker said:

I don't go to many events these days but I've never found insurance that would cover expenses that aren't directly related to the cancellation or postponement of the event itself - I'd be interested to see if there is any. 

Most events I've been to are in large cities so I tend to view them as the centrepiece for a weekend break, and so if the event itself was cancelled I'd still go ,with some alternative ways of  occupying my time lined up.

If it was something more out in the sticks with not much else to do then I'd try to make any bookings as flexible as possible. 

Yeah, I had a cancelled event a couple of years ago, but it was in a sea-side town and the weather was nice, so I just had a mini holiday without the event. 

I couldn't find any insurance that would cover this scenario, which is why I asked. It's just I've seen loads of people on Social Media who've had their plans disrupted by cancelled events at the new Co-op Live Arena. People have paid for hotels and transport and due to the last minute nature of the event cancellations they cannot get refunds. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback