Currys wont refund my confirmed faulty product

Options
Ive had this monitor for 2ish years but I have a care and repair plan for 3 years. After a long battle with loads of teams evenutally i had to go in store and they didnt even try and repair it becuase they said the system said it couldnt be. They have refunded me to a gift card of the orignal amount (£1040). My issue is there is nothing similar (myself and currys have looked, i even offered to pay more for the oled version) or like for like and i have spoken to several curries representatives and they have said they may never come back in stock nor due a refresh? I have tried currys complaints team but they have final deadlocked me saying the refund is enough - how can this be fair im now without a monitor and could be waiting years for a new one or my credit will expire ? The monitor is a samsung oddessy g9 qled 49 inch ultra wide, i have also tried to ask if they would refund to my payment method instead or buy one from samsung as they are in stock be they have refused. Any adivse would be great, think im going to have to try the ombudsmen. 

Comments

• km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    you are lucky to get a refund of the full amount - albeit to a gift card 

what you are entitled to is the value of a second hand two-year-old monitor
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    As above - they could have made a deduction for your two years use. If the gift card is full value, and you bought another brand new product, and then sold it immediately on eBay, you'd likely have more cash in your pocket than you would if they'd offered you a pro-rata refund based on use. 

I'm not familiar with the 'terms and conditions' of the plan you signed up to - what does it say in there they'll do if a product is faulty?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Options
    km1500 said:
    you are lucky to get a refund of the full amount - albeit to a gift card 

OP said they had "a care and repair plan for 3 years", Currys states if they can't repair or replace they'll offer a voucher up to to a max of the original purchase price to cover the costs of buying an equivalent replacement. 

It was a contractual obligation, nothing to do with luck.

km1500 said:

what you are entitled to is the value of a second hand two-year-old monitor
    If OP went down a consumer rights road they be entitled to a refund minus 2 years use, the second hand value of something has nothing to do with the matter. 

OP I think you have 12 months on your voucher, best to spend it before it expires. :) 
  • RefluentBeans
    RefluentBeans Posts: 943 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Agree with Lunatic here - you seemed to have claimed on your warranty. The warranty can have whatever terms it wants in there (with a few caveats). I don’t know if there is a mechanism that would allow you to move it to a consumer rights solution. 

Whilst it’s not ideal, the best solution may be to use the gift card (or sell it on a voucher exchange site, but they’ll take a cut too). 
  • tats997
    tats997 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys yeah the issue is that no monitor even close to mine is in stock and they have confirmed it could be ages before any come back in if at al - im debating just buying a smaller monitor but i feel that i really should have to. 
  • Gycraig
    Gycraig Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You have kind of snookered yourself. 

You had two paths, the sales of goods act and the warranty you paid for, you chose to go the additional warranty route they have given you a gift card which is what the additional warranty covered. 

You gave them the monitor they gave you the gift card end of transaction, honestly the ombudsman would be pointless at this point. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback