Shower cubicle glass thickness

Options
youth_leader
youth_leader Posts: 2,484 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
Hello, my plumber has left me an MKM 'Bathroom Collection' book and would like me to choose a cubicle.

I only want one door and have a choice of 8mm thick glass at £1,184 or 6 mm thick glass at £504.

I'm 67 and not always completely steady on my feet ... and about 13 stone.  Should I go for the thicker glass in case I have a fall? 
£216 saved 24 October 2014

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 May at 9:26PM
    Options
    Most screens sold by volume are 4mm toughened, the 8mm won't need to be toughened (but I suppose it could be), it would be really strong and hard to brake. 6mm I'm not sure if they have to be toughened, depends on size, but they probably are toughened - and I'd say more than adequate as most people probably have 4mm.

Both very expensive to be honest.

edit - just checked, 6mm DO have to be toughened, 8mm don't if no dimention greater than 1100mm (less than 4ft) so probably will also be tempered.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 3 May at 9:29PM
    Options
    We've gone from thicker (more robustly fitted) glass to thinner in a recent refurb - no bar at the top for support - the thinner glass is definitely more wobbly if it's knocked - if I was doing it again I'd probably ask for a top bar or a different fixing method for greater solidity.

We don't have a door just two panels with a space for entry/exit
  • youth_leader
    Options
    Thank you very much for your comments.  I will have a proper look at the actual screens before I decide.

I was on another website where a person's fitter had broken the glass trying to make it fit the shower tray, she was very upset.
  • youth_leader
    Options
    Thank you very much, I've just had another look at the catalogue and the 8 mm has a safety standard number, the 6 mm choice doesn't.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ALL shower screen glass will have to be toughened safety glass or (less likely) laminated to meet Regulations.  The MKM 2002 brochure states they are toughened safety glass in both thicknesses.

I have 6mm glass on a hinged door for the bathroom over-bath shower. 
    Our walk in shower in the en-suite is 1100mm long and in 8mm.  It's far more rigid than the 6mm panel, but also has a wall-bar support.  We're planning on a refurb and the equivalent panel is also 8mm and comes with a wall cross-bar support. (The support bars are usually available to buy and retrofit, too @Emmia )

It's unclear to me what shower enclosure you need (a simple door in an otherwise all-tiled/boarded cubicle) or multi-sided (two?, three?) and how big the door (and other glazing) will be...  Those will have an influence on what you'd choose.

Go along to a few bathroom showrooms to look at equivalent units in the different glass thicknesses.  If possible look at the exact model you are buying.

Bear in mind the prices shown in catalogues will be full RRP... and the plumber will get a trade discount that he can pass on to you (at least in part).
  • youth_leader
    Options
    Thank you very much Rodders53. I inherited the over bath hinged screen which I am keeping, I am always very careful with it. 

All the floors here needed replacing unexpectedly and I lost the wet walls/shower tray/shower and am starting again from scratch onto the new wooden floor.  Unfortunately the waste is going to have to go through the concrete floor which seems to be causing a problem.

I am having an extended quadrant shower tray, 1200 x 900 cm, and have chosen a cubicle with one door.  I'm going into MKM today to try and choose the wet walls, I hope they might have this cubicle on display.  
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Be sure to fit suitable 'grab rails' in the shower to steady yourself. 
    My wife needs them more than I, but they are invaluable!

Stainless steel (chrome plated SS if you wish) rather than any cheap metals.

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 4 May at 7:29PM
    Options
    Rodders53 said:
    ALL shower screen glass will have to be toughened safety glass or (less likely) laminated to meet Regulations.  The MKM 2002 brochure states they are toughened safety glass in both thicknesses.

I have 6mm glass on a hinged door for the bathroom over-bath shower. 
    Our walk in shower in the en-suite is 1100mm long and in 8mm.  It's far more rigid than the 6mm panel, but also has a wall-bar support.  We're planning on a refurb and the equivalent panel is also 8mm and comes with a wall cross-bar support. (The support bars are usually available to buy and retrofit, too @Emmia )

It's unclear to me what shower enclosure you need (a simple door in an otherwise all-tiled/boarded cubicle) or multi-sided (two?, three?) and how big the door (and other glazing) will be...
    I'm aware of that, but we've decided mostly for aesthetic reasons not to put a bar in (my husband isn't keen on having a bar)

Also, no need for a door if you don't want one, it does make cleaning easier 
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have a walk in shower with 8mm glass ,no door but a top fitted support bar , BUT the only problem we had was getting the panel up stairs ,the plumber/bathroom fitter asked me to help him carry it up stairs , i like to think that even at 73 i am reasonably fit but the weight of that glass was something else.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • youth_leader
    Options
    Thank you for the grab rail tip.  My friend in London is the same age as me and doesn't think I should have any aids, but she doesn't live alone.

I need to look at the bars you are mentioning, I'm not sure what you mean.  We had two rectangular showers in my old house with sliding door enclosures.  Bit more research to do!

Good point Ganga but I'm in a bungalow luckily.  I will be taking down my two art deco lamp shades and many pictures from the hallway which leads to the bathroom to avoid any damages, not looking forward to doing that! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure