PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cash from trust as a deposit

Options
I'm a beneficiary of a disabled person's trusts, I receive some means tested benefits.
I'd like to use some of the funds in the trust to help my girlfriend by a house near me.
Can the trust's funds be paid to the mortgage provider directly and then have me own that proportion of the house? So in effect the trust is helping to buy me a home in my name, not the trusts name. The point here is the money cannot come to me first then be transferred to mortgage co as then it would be deemed to be my money in finance assessments.

Comments

• propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Who are the Trustees?
  • Horace92
    Horace92 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I am also one of the trustees.  The other family friend.  We follow the settlors letter of wishes. The trust is allowed to be used for pretty much anything that benefits my quality of life.  Holidays, hobbys and maintenance etc on our house.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the plan for your girlfriend to buy the house, or both of you together, or just you? It's not entirely clear from your post.
  • Horace92
    First Post
    Options
    Yorkie1 said:
    Is the plan for your girlfriend to buy the house, or both of you together, or just you? It's not entirely clear from your post.
    Sorry, so my girlfriend works and would get the mortgage for the majority of the property.  I would probably be contributing 10%-15%, so the deposit.  I would own that percentage, her the rest.
  • Horace92
    First Post
    Options
    I had already discovered that she would not be able to get a mortgage if the property was part owned by the trust.
  • Schwarzwald
    Schwarzwald Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rather confusing post.

1- why would the deposit be paid “to the mortgage co”?
    the deposit and also mortgage are typically paid to your solicitor and then onwards to the vendor, not the mortgage company.

2- are you afraid that you lose your benefits if you receive the money? If so, then it kind of triggers the question of why you receive benefits if you have lots of money to your benefit in a trust?
  • Horace92
    First Post
    Options
    Rather confusing post.

1- why would the deposit be paid “to the mortgage co”?
    the deposit and also mortgage are typically paid to your solicitor and then onwards to the vendor, not the mortgage company.

2- are you afraid that you lose your benefits if you receive the money? If so, then it kind of triggers the question of why you receive benefits if you have lots of money to your benefit in a trust?
    1. OK the deposit paid to the solicitor and then onward to the vendor, my mistake.

2. Trusts can't be used for the general day to day cost of living. Food bills, care etc. I can't just be given money from the trust as I feel like it.  Its a discretionary trust so I have no right to the money. All trustees must agree. I am principal beneficiary but there are other beneficiaries.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback