We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Lenders not wanting to lend

Options

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Lenders need to lend to have a viable business so no, they are not trying to get out of lending.
    They are just getting out of meeting sellers expectations, a price correction would benefit lenders as they will get more customers.
    Lenders are more interested in not incurring bad debts. 
  • ReadySteadyPop
    ReadySteadyPop Posts: 257 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    Lenders need to lend to have a viable business so no, they are not trying to get out of lending.
    They are just getting out of meeting sellers expectations, a price correction would benefit lenders as they will get more customers.
    Lenders are more interested in not incurring bad debts. 
    And not meeting sellers daft expectations/EA`s daft valuations is the perfect way to hedge against that.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A mortgage adviser suggesting Lenders are ‘looking for reasons not to lend’ is not demonstrating a sound understanding of the market.

How long would a Lender avoiding lending stay in business?
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    amnblog said:
    A mortgage adviser suggesting Lenders are ‘looking for reasons not to lend’ is not demonstrating a sound understanding of the market.

Maybe go and speak to that lender beginning with V. After some of the stunts they pulled during covid I have no idea how. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ReadySteadyPop
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    amnblog said:

Maybe they are lending but more sensibly, if the buyer wants to overpay they will have to add their own money?
  • ACG
    Options
    Thats always been the case.ReadySteadyPop said:
    amnblog said:

Maybe they are lending but more sensibly, if the buyer wants to overpay they will have to add their own money?

I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ReadySteadyPop
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ACG said:
    amnblog said:

The banks were not lending sensibly in the past, that is why half the country is hanging onto the hope of "rate cuts".
  • ACG
    Options
    ACG said:
    amnblog said:

The banks were not lending sensibly in the past, that is why half the country is hanging onto the hope of "rate cuts".
    Maybe. But most people with large mortgages (comparative to income) would have been assessed on rates of 6-8% so should be able to take the shock of rate rises. The problem is that it has come combined with inflation of over 10% and people may have also had kids or taken out cars or other finance as the mortgage repayments were lower than they could actually afford. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ACG said:
    amnblog said:

There's far more savers than borrowers in the UK.  Also 20% of total borrowing is BTL. Just 80% is residential. Facts speak volumes. 
  • ReadySteadyPop
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    ACG said:
    amnblog said:

There's far more savers than borrowers in the UK.  Also 20% of total borrowing is BTL. Just 80% is residential. Facts speak volumes. 
    So the media going on about rate cuts that might happen....sometime..... every day is just something they like doing, it doesn`t have any relevance to most of the public?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure