PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sold house. Buyer harassing us.

Options

Comments

• gandalf2k5
    gandalf2k5 Posts: 10 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Anytime I asked for advice my lawyer said that he could not advise me. At no point was I offered a resolution. Only once an action was taken was I informed there was a specific consequence. Asking family they all said to tell him to do one. With regards to the profit you seem to have thought that I walked out with I actually had to use 2k savings seeing that we had to move from a 5 year fixed only taken out in September to a new lender that would lend us the higher amount. By the time we payed the £7500 termination, the lawyers, deposit and stamp duty, mortgage advisor, moving costs etc we had to put savings into it. 
  • Kirkmain
    Kirkmain Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely property is sold as seen. Otherwise whats stopping someone from moving into a house they just bought. Taking a sledgehammer to the property and then insisting the vendor pay for renovations!?
  • gandalf2k5
    First Post
    Options
    My lawyer said that he cannot recommend with how I want to proceed. He said on the phone that he can only give me the what is said or the legal side of each step. Again nothing listed above comes under breaking the missives bar stuff to do with a boiler. I put the post up to see if I was genuinely in the wrong and in some eyes I might be going off some reply’s. But having to deal with someone who’s “grabby” for months and the grief he has caused takes its toll. I could have taken it to closing and made an extra 5k. Could have easily made extra £500 for the sold items I basically handed out. Could have kept the £120 survey money. Ultimately the roof money has been money well spent because no doubt he would have lied about that along with the various other lies he has hit out with. 
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,768 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kirkmain said:
    Surely property is sold as seen. Otherwise whats stopping someone from moving into a house they just bought. Taking a sledgehammer to the property and then insisting the vendor pay for renovations!?
    Not in Scotland 
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,587 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    My lawyer said that he cannot recommend with how I want to proceed. He said on the phone that he can only give me the what is said or the legal side of each step. Again nothing listed above comes under breaking the missives bar stuff to do with a boiler. I put the post up to see if I was genuinely in the wrong and in some eyes I might be going off some reply’s. But having to deal with someone who’s “grabby” for months and the grief he has caused takes its toll. I could have taken it to closing and made an extra 5k. Could have easily made extra £500 for the sold items I basically handed out. Could have kept the £120 survey money. Ultimately the roof money has been money well spent because no doubt he would have lied about that along with the various other lies he has hit out with. 
    Again, ignore what you could have done. The buyer clearly doesn't see the goodwill you feel you have put into the sale and is trying to get every little thing he can fixed. The way you have described it, it looks like he's at it, but that does not mean that at least part of his claim is not valid.

Can you be more specific on the 3 boiler issues, when they were reported, and what proof has been provided.
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to add, IF you do decide to entertain his claim that the boiler is faulty, I would be insisting on an independant engineer doing the inspection. I would not even consider letting the buyer arrange the inspection because he could well use someone he knows and the report would then be biased in his favour.
  • gandalf2k5
    First Post
    Options
    He mentioned to my lawyer about there not being a thermostat and the carbon monoxide alarm being near the boiler on the 5th day. Because I told the lawyer that I wasn’t discussing it anymore that he obviously wasn’t getting money from me seeing that the lawyer had done his end completing the sale to tell him that’s it. He can take me to court. It is in Scottish law under some rule that they can ask for the address which he done within seconds. I assumed that the address would be kept between lawyers but obviously that’s not correct. I cannot remember the word but the lawyer said it is sold as seen although on this thread others have disagreed. Quite laughable that a gas fitter has said my boiler doesn’t work and that he needs a survey. He doesn’t know that I know his occupation as far as I’m aware.
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,587 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Is the new owner contacting you directly, or is it via their solicitor?
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

It is in Scottish law under some rule that they can ask for the address 
    It's not "in Scottish law", it's in the contract which you agreed to.

In relation to the various comments about "sold as seen", there's obviously still potential for dispute about what condition the property was "seen" in....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback