25% Tax Free Lump Sum or whole amount used in annuity?

Options

Hi all.  I have an employer’s retirement savings plan (not Final Salary just to be clear) and I am 67 so would like to take the pension.  The dilemma I have is whether to take the TFLS or use the whole amount to buy an annuity. 

I don’t want income drawdown as pots can go down as well as up and I'm risk averse.

I could take TFLS and then make regular withdrawals from the balance, but then I’ve read that pension companies charge an ‘Admin’ fee for every withdrawal, so if I do that monthly for example, that’s going to eat into the pot.

My preference would be to have a higher monthly annuity income and forgo the TFLS, however, if I do that:  Does that mean I lose the tax free benefit and say goodbye to potentially thousands of pounds, and if so, would someone be able to point out the pros and cons of taking the whole amount as an annuity, i.e. Could there be some benefit in the future I have not considered which would balance losing the TFLS tax benefit?

I should point out here, I’m not asking for financial advice, I’m just looking to plug knowledge gaps.  I've had a Pensionwise phone interview, but I didn’t find that very helpful TBH, the advisor clearly had better things he wanted to do and couldn’t wait to get through it, it felt like a bit of a sprint to the finish line.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
     The dilemma I have is whether to take the TFLS or use the whole amount to buy an annuity. 
    No dilemma.   Unless you have a GAR of a high value, you take the 25% TFC.   You do not use tax free money to buy a taxable income.

I don’t want income drawdown as pots can go down as well as up and I'm risk averse.
    How did you build up the pension in the first place?

I could take TFLS and then make regular withdrawals from the balance, but then I’ve read that pension companies charge an ‘Admin’ fee for every withdrawal, so if I do that monthly for example, that’s going to eat into the pot.
    That is not correct and it wouldn't be in a pension any more either.  

My preference would be to have a higher monthly annuity income and forgo the TFLS, however, if I do that:  Does that mean I lose the tax free benefit and say goodbye to potentially thousands of pounds, and if so, would someone be able to point out the pros and cons of taking the whole amount as an annuity, i.e. Could there be some benefit in the future I have not considered which would balance losing the TFLS tax benefit?
    Yes, you lose the tax free benefit.

I've had a Pensionwise phone interview, but I didn’t find that very helpful TBH, the advisor clearly had better things he wanted to do and couldn’t wait to get through it, it felt like a bit of a sprint to the finish line.
    Pensionwise do not employ advisers and they cannot give advice.   Its generic information only and mainstream.   I am not sure they would cover off the options you are looking for in respect of the 25%.  Typically that would be purchase life annuity, S&S ISA or cash ISA.or put it back into the pension with annual allowance use.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You are now in receipt of your state pension?

You mention the retirement savings plan - is this with your current employer?

If not, are you currently employed and in a workplace pension?

Do you now intend to retire completely from paid employment?
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,891 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

Hi all.  I have an employer’s retirement savings plan (not Final Salary just to be clear) and I am 67 so would like to take the pension.  The dilemma I have is whether to take the TFLS or use the whole amount to buy an annuity. 

I should point out here, I’m not asking for financial advice, I’m just looking to plug knowledge gaps.  I've had a Pensionwise phone interview, but I didn’t find that very helpful TBH, the advisor clearly had better things he wanted to do and couldn’t wait to get through it, it felt like a bit of a sprint to the finish line.

Given what you've said, particularly your comment about being 'risk averse', then perhaps consider taking 25% tax free cash (which then becomes 'yours' rather than still being part of your pension) and using the remaining 75% to buy an annuity. 

Then use the 25% you've taken out as tax free cash to buy a second annuity - only this time, because you are using your own (as opposed to pension fund) money, you get preferential tax treatment, as part of each payment from this second annuity is treated as a return of capital, so isn't subject to income tax.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Then use the 25% you've taken out as tax free cash to buy a second annuity - only this time, because you are using your own (as opposed to pension fund) money, you get preferential tax treatment, as part of each payment from this second annuity is treated as a return of capital, so isn't subject to income tax.
    Right; a 'purchased life annuity'. Much more tax-efficient than passing up on the 25% PCLS, yet with all of the safety (predictability) of a full pension annuity.
  • D0nkeyoaty
    D0nkeyoaty Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some fantastic info there for me to think about so many thanks.  I like the comment "You do not use tax free money to buy a taxable income", obvious really I guess, strange how sometimes you cant see what's right in front of you until its pointed out, but that's why I joined here.

@xylophone

You are now in receipt of your state pension? Yes

You mention the retirement savings plan - is this with your current employer? Retired now so ex employer, but yes

If not, are you currently employed and in a workplace pension? No

Do you now intend to retire completely from paid employment? Yes
  • RogerPensionGuy
    RogerPensionGuy Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have been doing plenty of research on PLA purchased life annuties. 

All very interesting. 

The tax treatment of the cap or capital component of the payment is very interesting indeed. 

I took a chunk of cash TFLS and deciding if I use a combination of PLA or indeed PLAs and gilts and indeed gilt ladders to augment mitigate tax and try foxing potential IHT down the road. 

Reference IHT mitigation, it's in my plan, but I'm 100% not paranoid about curtailing it and not using my cash flowz as I feel like doing. 

• D0nkeyoaty
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I’m obviously thinking about pensions a lot at the moment and I have two pots, the main one with about 60% of the total and 40% in the other.  As I said previously, I prefer the security of a monthly income but I preferably don’t really want to be buying two annuities, so I’ve been thinking about consolidation and moving the 40% into the other pot.  The company with the 40% say they don’t charge an exit fee for moving to a different fund, great, but then there’s that word ‘However’.  “However, we may impose an MVR on the movement of funds, you may get back less than you put in”, which sounds suspiciously to me like there is an exit fee in all but name.

So, whilst I appreciate that I may be asking for someone to have clairvoyant powers here, but for the uneducated i.e. Me, what exactly is an MVR and is there a real risk that it could seriously impact on the total amount of the pot?

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,891 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

I’m obviously thinking about pensions a lot at the moment and I have two pots, the main one with about 60% of the total and 40% in the other.  As I said previously, I prefer the security of a monthly income but I preferably don’t really want to be buying two annuities, 

Why not? Doing so would seem to fit your situation and attitude to risk very well.

So, whilst I appreciate that I may be asking for someone to have clairvoyant powers here, but for the uneducated i.e. Me, what exactly is an MVR and is there a real risk that it could seriously impact on the total amount of the pot?

See https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6525951/mvr-question-and-factors-prudential#latest

Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
     As I said previously, I prefer the security of a monthly income but I preferably don’t really want to be buying two annuities

Remember there are lots of different types of annuity.

Some will go up with inflation every year. Some will go up by a fixed amount each year ( say 3%). A level annuity will never increase.

Some will pay a spouse a pension if you die, some do not.

Some are for your lifetime, others can be for a fixed term, with some money back at the end.

Plus many other variations.

Of course the more favourable the conditions, the more expensive the annuity is, or you get less income for the same lump sum.

So by having two annuities you could have two different types. A way to hedge your bets maybe.

• D0nkeyoaty
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Actually, having two different types of annuity is worth considering. Hmmmm.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback