PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Using The Same Solicitor for Buying & Selling / Quote

Options
Hi all,

I hope someone can give me some advise. I originally got a solicitor on board for just selling my leasehold flat as I was going to move in with family and buy 6 months later. I have now changed my mind and asked for a quote as I have a property I want to buy, actually had an offer accepted on yesterday :).

Does this quote look ok? wondering if they might have upped it knowing I was already going with a sale with them? Also, I asked for a discount, and they cut £100 off the selling quote, as I said recently done a lease extension with them, and recommended a friend to them as well.

It's a freehold 2 bed house.

Thanks

Comments

• propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A bit pricey but not excessive.
  • marcus-darkus
    marcus-darkus Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks, maybe they are adding in a little bit more as they have me in a certain position.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,471 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That doesn’t look unreasonable to me I have to say. There is usually a fair bit more work on a purchase than a sale, bear in mind, and the only time “saved” due to you already being a client are the AML aspects. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • pjs493
    pjs493 Posts: 417 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This is more than I’m paying for a property more than double the value of the one you’re buying. 

But I guess there may be regional variations. 

I’m using two solicitors, one for a sale and one for a purchase because the properties are at opposite ends of the country and I wanted solicitors with local knowledge due to the nature of the properties. The solicitor’s fee for the sale of one property is more than the fee for the purchase of the other, more expensive property in my case. 
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    pjs493 said:
    This is more than I’m paying for a property more than double the value of the one you’re buying. 

I’m using two solicitors, one for a sale and one for a purchase because the properties are at opposite ends of the country and I wanted solicitors with local knowledge due to the nature of the properties. The solicitor’s fee for the sale of one property is more than the fee for the purchase of the other, more expensive property in my case. 
    That’s odd as there is usually far more work involved in a purchase than a sale. 
    I’d prefer to use to use the same solicitor for both but you obviously have your reasons. Hope they both go through smoothly. 
  • marcus-darkus
    marcus-darkus Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pjs493 said:

I'm selling a flat near Heathrow, Zone 6, buying a house in Leeds, Solicitor is in Salisbury. They done a decent job with a lease extension so chose them.  Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback