Credit card minimum payment

Options
dannygn123
dannygn123 Posts: 59 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I have a credit card where I have a direct debit set up for the minimum payment. I cleared most of it on the 24th April with a balance transfer to another card. My account is still showing minimum payment due tomorrow £104.99. I only have a balance now of around £250. I thought maybe it just hasn't updated but I called up and he said no because you have a direct debit set up then the payment will still be taken tomorrow.  It doesn't sound right to me. I would have thought if I had made a payment then I wouldn't have to make a minimum payment but he said no its calculated from your last statement balance. Can someone help me understand this I'm confused. He said you can cancel your direct debit but it probably won't be enough notice

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,005 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Interim payments only usually affect full payment DDs, minimums will usually be collected if there is still a balance on the account.  You need to read your statement, what happens in the case of interim payments should be explained there.  You may be able to cancel the DD with your bank but if the CC have called it you may get a missed payment marker.  Which card is it ?
  • dannygn123
    Options
    molerat said:
    Interim payments only usually affect full payment DDs, minimums will usually be collected if there is still a balance on the account.  You need to read your statement, what happens in the case of interim payments should be explained there.  You may be able to cancel the DD with your bank but if the CC have called it you may get a missed payment marker.  Which card is it ?
    It's tesco credit card. I would have thought the minimum payment amount would have reduced if the balance has reduced?
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    molerat said:
    It's tesco credit card. I would have thought the minimum payment amount would have reduced if the balance has reduced?
    Different cards do it differently - some will adjust the minimum payment, some won't.
    In addition, the amount due to be taken by DD is usually calculated (internally by their computer systems) several days in advance, then just actioned on the appropriate day.  I've no idea how far in advance Tesco in particular do their DD calculation processing, but that may also have a part to play.

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It depends how closed to the DD due date that the payment was made and cleared and how late Tesco can adjust their systems, paying off £104.99 of a £250 debt is no bad thing though as it'll reduce interest further
  • dannygn123
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    It depends how closed to the DD due date that the payment was made and cleared and how late Tesco can adjust their systems, paying off £104.99 of a £250 debt is no bad thing though as it'll reduce interest further
    It was paid on the 24th April and the dd is due 4th May. That should be plenty of time to allow for adjustment. Yeah it goes towards paying of my debt but just I didn't think I'd have to pay anything this month, especially not that much but I guess there's not much I can do?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    It was paid on the 24th April and the dd is due 4th May. That should be plenty of time to allow for adjustment. Yeah it goes towards paying of my debt but just I didn't think I'd have to pay anything this month, especially not that much but I guess there's not much I can do?
    The above exchange may be at cross purposes, as there are two separate issues at play here!

Firstly, there is the Tesco policy regarding automatically adjusting minimum repayment DDs - if they don't adjust them then it makes no difference how far in advance the manual repayment is, as they won't be initiating any change themselves, so it doesn't make any difference if the other payment was on the 24th, or the 14th, or the 30th.

Secondly, and separately, there is the lead time for the DD process, whereby it won't be practical to change it within n days of payment, regardless of whether that's initiated by Tesco or the cardholder.  If it's due to be paid tomorrow (presumably actually Tuesday with the long weekend) then you'd probably have needed to instruct them to change the DD by the start of this week.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    10 days isn't necessarily enough time, if the DD was already set in weeks before

You could cancel the DD and just pay the minimum manually + a bit just in case (work it manually based on their terms of minimum - 1%, 2% etc). The DD will go on the 7th though due to the bank holiday
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Balance transfer will not be counted as a payment.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure