Can insurer refuse to reduce cover because of previous claims?

Options
My GSDX has been insured with everypaw for 9 years.  She turned 10 in February and her renewal has come in at double the previous amount.  Because of her age I won't put her through surgery or invasive treatment, so thought I'd reduce the level of cover.  I've called everypaw and been told that because there are claims on the policy they can't reduce the level of cover.  Is that legal?  Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 565 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Changing the level of cover requires a new policy.  I don't think it's unreasonable that they don't offer new policies to 10 year old pets especially where there have been claims
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Presumably you are looking to change the cover at renewal and not now? Was the agent possibly confused as Mark_d seems to have thought you wanted a mid term change.

Do you need pre-existing cover? Sounds like you have made claims and so switching insurers would be more painful. 

Each contract is an annual policy, in principle an insurer can decide not to offer renewals to certain customers or require a minimum cover etc... eg most insurer won't offer you a TPFT policy on a £40k car but will happily quote for Comp. 

Whilst in principle all bets are off at renewal the FOS tends to expect insurers to go a bit further at times, particularly where buying elsewhere is going to be problematic (eg you've had a subsidence claim on Home)
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I think what was meant is that you cannot lower the amount and keep the same cover as you have now. 

Lowering  your cover will  be a new policy with no cover for for previous conditions.

You will not be renewing your existing policy as you are changing the cover limit.

Each different level of cover is a separate policy.

You would lose cover for  any previous conditions recurring or anything that could be connected to one. 
    For example if your had previously claimed for lameness  and your dog later developed arthritis  it would be excluded as it could be as a result of the cause of the lameness.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback