Newbie question: selling a car privately without V5/log book

Options
dilby
dilby Posts: 212 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
Hi all - not a money saving post specifically, but hoping for some help nonetheless. I'm selling a car privately for the first time. I had heard at some point that it could be now done online but I seem to have been mistaken, and reading up on DVLA's site now suggests I need a log book which I don't have. It takes between 4-6 weeks to arrive (!) so I don't have time to order a new one before the buyer arrives. 

The DVLA site says if you don't have a log book you just write to the DVLA with your details and the new buyer, but I don't understand what happens in the meantime; does that mean you pay the tax on the vehicle until the dvla transfer ownership and does anyone know how long that takes and how i am notified? Details are thin on their website. 

And also how does that affect insurance and liability ?

Thanks so much

Comments

• Betterthanlife
    Betterthanlife Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Taxing it will be an issue, below from Gov website. The buyer wont be able to tax it until they get a new V5C, so wont be able to use or keep on a public highway. Tax isn't transferable

If you do not have a V5C or new keeper slip

If you’re the current keeper, you must apply for a replacement V5C. You can tax your vehicle at the same time. 

You can tax your vehicle at a Post Office, if you prefer.

If you’re the new keeper, you cannot tax your vehicle without a new keeper slip. You’ll need to apply for a new V5C by post. You can also get the form from the Post Office.

A new V5C costs £25.

Does the buyer know it hasn't got a V5C? 

• LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 May at 9:04AM
    Options
    Have you ever had the V5 ?  Is it just lost/misplaced

If not, how did you manage to tax the vehicle last time ?

As above, make sure any prospective buyer is aware you dont have it
  • mr_stripey
    mr_stripey Posts: 674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think you can get a V5 quicker by visiting a DVLA office (or at least you could in the past I had to replace a lost one).

If I was the buyer though, the lack of the document would be a massive red flag and I'd walk away...
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You need to apply for a V5 directly and give it to the new keeper.

They can apply for one themselves but then the DVLA will write to you to give you 2 weeks to object, which delays the process and the new buyer can't tax the car in the mean time.

It's generally advised not to buy a car without a V5 so you ideally want to have that sorted before selling. Definitely make sure your current buyer (if you have one) knows about it.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Options
    I think you can get a V5 quicker by visiting a DVLA office (or at least you could in the past I had to replace a lost one).

If I was the buyer though, the lack of the document would be a massive red flag and I'd walk away...
    AFAIK they all closed in 2013.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Options
    Taxing it will be an issue, below from Gov website. The buyer wont be able to tax it until they get a new V5C, so wont be able to use or keep on a public highway. Tax isn't transferable
    The vehicle will be taxed until the point where the DVLA process the change of keeper. Why couldn't the buyer use it until then?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    The vehicle will be taxed until the point where the DVLA process the change of keeper. Why couldn't the buyer use it until then?
    Sounds like it might be on the keeper before's details if the OP hasn't got a V5C for it in their own name (assuming they haven't lost it)
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dilby said:
    Hi all - not a money saving post specifically, but hoping for some help nonetheless. I'm selling a car privately for the first time.  I need a log book which I don't have. It takes between 4-6 weeks to arrive (!) so I don't have time to order a new one before the buyer arrives. 

Have you already sold the car as you mention the buyer? What has happened to the V5C log book? You really want to have that sorted before selling as you'll reduce the pool of people who will consider buying the car. I'd never bother to do that unless the price was exceptionally low and the vehicle special in some way. It might cost £25 but the difference in value will be much more.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Betterthanlife
    Betterthanlife Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    Assuming its already taxed
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A duplicate/replacement V5c will only take a few days to arrive if there is no change of keeper details.

Applying for a V5c in a different name takes several weeks as they write to the current keeper and give them 28 days to object to a possible fraudulent request for transfer.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback