Questions from the probate office

Options
I sent away my mums original will 3 weeks ago and it was received no problem by them. Yesterday I received an email from the probate asking questions regarding it. The will was bound together with ribbon through 2 punch holes with no staples on the will at all. I took a copy of the will before sending it and have double checked. However they have asked the below

The original Will bears staple holes in the top left hand corner.

Please reply by email to explain either how this has happened or whether the original will was held by a firm of solicitors from the day it was executed until after the date of death.

This is clearly wrong or they are looking at a different will. 

Any ideas? 

Comments

• tetrarch
    tetrarch Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Send them a copy of your copy as proof of the lack of staples. I would suggest talking to them on the phone, but this may prove difficult

Regards

Tet
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They're saying there are holes where staples were previously not that there are staples there now. This could be an indication that pages have been added/removed in order to alter the will. Hence they want clarification 
  • cambb
    cambb Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It states top left corner. The punch wholes are in the middle of the will. 
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The top left hand corner is where A4 portrait documents would typically be stapled, the holes are tiny so it is possible you didn't notice them. Wills though would usually be fastened with "rivet" type fixings as these are much harder to remove without obvious damage.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback