Starting out getting debt free - feeling scared

Options
Hello, 
I posted on someone else's thread of becoming debt free and their advice for starting out and got some great advice including starting my own thread so here goes:
Due to my own stupid money management I got myself into a debt spiral where I now can't afford my monthly minimum payments even though I have a full-time job which pays fairly well. I panicked last weekend and contacted StepChange who immediately advised a debt management plan where the payments were the same as my monthly minimums (which I can't afford!) anyway I searched on here and realised there is another way. Here's a list of my debts, they are all credit cards and personal loans: 
Zable credit card: £508
MBNA credit card: £516
Barclaycard credit card: £13 (not worth including but thought I would) 
Capital 1 credit card: £207.74
Salad Loan: £864
Loans2Go Loan: £1726
Everyday Lending Loan: £7000
Likely Loan Loan: £1962
The repayments on these is approx £1500 pcm. This month (May) is the first month I have cancelled all direct debits on all accounts. The Likely Loan I haven't been able to pay for 3 months now and they have told me my account is going in default. The others this is the first month payment missed which I won't pay later. I was hopeful at the beginning of this month that I would start to build up my funds through not paying to then put me in a position to make offers when defaulted but I had a horrible shock yesterday when my monthly paypacket was £1000 short. My tax code for the new financial year was wrong so I rang HMRC and got it corrected but won't see the payback until next paycheck (end of this month). So I'm panicking because I'm struggling to pay my basics this month meaning my grand plan to not pay my debts and put that money to one side to start my default offer fund is already a month behind but the missed payments are already a month in. 
I hope that makes sense. I'm panicking, my phone is blowing up with all these companies ringing me for missed payments and I'm ignoring the calls and the emails too, is this the thing to do until it's defaulted? StepChange now keep emailing me saying it's time to set up my debt management plan. I was so confident at the weekend after reading the advice here but the HMRC set back has really knocked my confidence and being hounded is making me panic. 
Sorry, any advice? 

Comments

• Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Firstly contact Stepchange and tell them you have changed your mind about the DMP at the moment.

Secondly don't panic about not paying your debts, nothing is going to happen.

Thirdly block all the phone numbers, don't answer E Mails but do look at anything you receive by snail mail.

Even if you don't pay things like council tax, water etc. for 1 month you will be able to make them up next month.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,649 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Yes. Good advice above.

Actually I wouldn't bother too much about not paying water (can't cut you off), elec/gas ( can put you on prepayment but takes many months.

Rent/mortgage and council tax are priority payments so keep them ticking over if you can

You need to eat and stay warm, though the latter will be easier if this weather improves.

You need to stay legal if you have a car or tv licence

Stuff like loans and credit cards are at the bottom of the queue if things are tight. You can stop paying.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Absolutely second fatbelly.

Keep the roof over your head, eat and pay your essential usage taxes (car/TV).

If you can't afford CT this month, ring and then deliver a letter explaining the situation and pay double next month. Or ask them to put you on a 12 month plan, which might take enough time to organise.

Reply to Stepchange telling them that your tax code is messed up and you have a massive shortfall this month. Once you're feeling a little less burdened, explain that you want to wait before doing the DMP.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,966 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 May at 11:48AM
    Options
    Just make sure your priority debts are taken care of, the rest will ring and text and write, and generally make a nuisance of themselves, you would assume you owed them millions, the non priority, non essential credit debts always make the most noise, as they are scared of you not paying them, because they know they are a very low priority when things get tough.

I was reading a previous post a little earlier, that fatbelly commented on.

"the Government want you to think debt is a scary subject" he wrote.....

but really it isn`t, if you don`t have money or assets, then there is virtually nothing creditors can do to get you to pay.

Its the fear factor that plays in everyone's heads, once you get past that, things will seem a whole lot better.

For instance, were you aware you can stop the phone calls by sending just one email to each lender?
    Under GDPR (data protection laws) you can now choose how a company contacts you, so just tell them to only contact you in writing, they have to comply with your request.

That`s another string to your bow, there are many more, its all about regaining control of the situation, and making things work in your favour, where you call the shots, not them.

Stick to your grand plan, don`t be put off at the first fence, be proactive, many, many people choose to tackle their debts this way, its unconventional, which is why I like it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • debtspiraldisaster
    Options
    Thank you @sourcrates, @RAT, and @fatbelly so much for your advice, I’m just focusing on getting through this month (again!) to start getting somewhere positive. I’ve got a question about when I’m offering a settlement for the defaults: I’ve seen the template letter and there’s a section to say why you’re in this situation - I have no real reason or excuse, I just got stuck in a debt spiral, I’m worried they won’t accept my offer because of this. Also, I’m worried about how they’ll view my bank account, I have animals and spend money on them (food, insurance etc) and I’m worried they’ll not accept that as reasonable priority spending, do they look through your bank account? Sorry for all the silly questions, they keep me up at night. 
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 963 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 May at 4:56PM
    Options
    when you say settlements, do you mean full and final settlements, if so where will you have the total money you need and it may take many months or years before you get any discounts at all .
     or do you mean a repayment plan?

cos no one requires your bank statements on a dmp

bank statements, yes in a DRO or bankruptcy application.

I'm confused what you mean

I had a dmp with step change, I had a rescue cat that needed prescription food, insulin, arthritis medicine, vet visits, I put it  as a monthly expense, no problems asked or questioned 

pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,966 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you @sourcrates, @RAT, and @fatbelly so much for your advice, I’m just focusing on getting through this month (again!) to start getting somewhere positive. I’ve got a question about when I’m offering a settlement for the defaults: I’ve seen the template letter and there’s a section to say why you’re in this situation - I have no real reason or excuse, I just got stuck in a debt spiral, I’m worried they won’t accept my offer because of this. Also, I’m worried about how they’ll view my bank account, I have animals and spend money on them (food, insurance etc) and I’m worried they’ll not accept that as reasonable priority spending, do they look through your bank account? Sorry for all the silly questions, they keep me up at night. 
    You are a long way of settlement yet, and no one can look at your bank account, did you forget data protection rules?

Just allow the process to unfold, with luck, your debts will be sold or assigned pretty quickly, debt collectors are much easier to deal with in most cases, as they have shiny new websites where you can easily and simply make payments without saying boo to a goose or giving anyone access to your personal documents or spending.

Try not to overthink things, don`t put up barriers where non exist.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback