Home restoration after escape of water

Options
My parents’ house needs to be restored due to water damage. The contractors will be ripping the kitchen and floors out and replacing with new (amongst ripping out/replacing other parts of the house). 

I am aware that replacements will be like
for like, but is one able to ask about the colour - providing it is exactly the same price? For example the wooden kitchen cupboards (originally white) are currently painted grey, I wonder if I could ask for white, which I imagine would be cheaper anyway?

Similar question about the flooring. I wonder if I could choose the flooring within the same budget and floor type - laminate and vinyl. 

Does anyone know? I realise it might be quite cheeky, so hesitant to ask. It wouldn’t add on to labour or costs as I’d keep to the same budget that they’re allowing for. 

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Its fairly normal and not an issue.
  • BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Usually no problem at all.  They might even just ask you to go and pick in the shop.

If you did want to go more expensive, they'd often just let you pay the difference too.
  • 1122abc
    1122abc Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I’ve never been through this process before. Would I be presented with the choices or would I need to contact the contractor to ask about this?
  • 1122abc
    Options
    Usually no problem at all.  They might even just ask you to go and pick in the shop.

If you did want to go more expensive, they'd often just let you pay the difference too.
    Wow, this is quite surprising to me. Would the contractor present me with the choices or should I ask directly about it? The work hasn’t started yet. We are waiting for a drying certificate. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    1122abc said:
    Thanks for your reply. I’ve never been through this process before. Would I be presented with the choices or would I need to contact the contractor to ask about this?
    In larger claims like this its normally a discussion with the loss adjustor or the appointed supplier, they may well give you a link to their flooring options and be told you can go up to £X per M2. 

Were it a smaller claim then they'd typically just give you a gift voucher for a relevant retailer, so for white goods we used to use Curry's so if you accidentally pulled your oven out the cabinet that costs £500 we'd just give you a £500 gift voucher and its up to you if you use it to by an oven, a vacuum cleaner or add more money from your own pocket and buy a 8k 90" TV
  • 1122abc
    Options
    1122abc said:
    In larger claims like this its normally a discussion with the loss adjustor or the appointed supplier, they may well give you a link to their flooring options and be told you can go up to £X per M2. 

Were it a smaller claim then they'd typically just give you a gift voucher for a relevant retailer, so for white goods we used to use Curry's so if you accidentally pulled your oven out the cabinet that costs £500 we'd just give you a £500 gift voucher and its up to you if you use it to by an oven, a vacuum cleaner or add more money from your own pocket and buy a 8k 90" TV
    Thanks for explaining further! The loss adjustor has asked me to ask the contractor. I don’t feel so awkward about asking now - thank you 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback