Aquarium Air Pumps

Options
sobeitjedi
sobeitjedi Posts: 173 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi. 

I have a 120L fish tank with a few small cold water fish. 

This week I have been testing air pumps, as apparently they pump oxygen into the aquarium, which is good for the fish. 

However, I've found that all three I've tested are unusable due to the volume of noise they make, even though they claim to be silent or quiet. Two are by Nicrew and one by Hygger (the most expensive and the loudest).

As my aquarium is in a very quiet home office, I don't wish for there to be any noise.

Does anyone have any air pump recommendations? 

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The other option is to add a filtration system, as they are submerged in the tank they are quieter. They help circulate the water and agitate the surface enabling more oxygen to be absorbed and circulated deeper into the tank. 

There are other ways of oxygenating the water like having live aquatic plants

Generally the higher the oxygen levels the better, though some fish prefer still water, it really depends on how full your tank is. The volume isn't that important, it's more the surface area at the surface that matters (given thats where the oxygen is absorbed). There are formulas to say if you've a Xcm2 surface area you can have Ycm of length of all fish in the tank. If you are no way near the maximum capacity you are probably fine without adding anything.

Its been a long time since we've had fish but every air pump we had were all noisy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback