PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

CGT on my brothers house move

Options
My brother and I bought a house 20 years ago for £80k. We jointly borrowed £72k on an interest only mortgage. The house has been my brothers main home for 20 years and he lives there alone. He wants to sell the house at £180k and buy a flat for £120k to live in as his main home and reduce the mortage joint interest only loan to £12k. My brother pays the interest only on the loan. Would I be liable for CGT on the sale?

Comments

• Bookworm105
    Bookworm105 Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 May at 4:40PM
    Options
    the size of loan, in whose name(s) it was, who paid it, and what happens to the loan afterwards are all irrelevant.
    What does matter is can you prove from the outset that you were never going to get one penny of money when it was sold - if you can't then you have a beneficial interest in the property and it is that status which decides CGT exposure.

On the face of it, it appears you are the (joint) beneficial owner of the property.
    So you are liable for CGT on your share of the sale as it has never been your main home 
    Your brother is exempt from CGT on his share as it has always been his main home 

using your (rounded) figures:
    Gross gain 180-80 = 100
    assuming joint (ie 50/50) ownership your CGT would be 100/2 = 50,000 less allowance 3,000 = 47,000 taxable 

you would pay CGT at 18% and/or 24% depending on how much of the gain falls into the higher rate tax band based on the total of your net taxable income + your share of the gain 

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 May at 4:27PM
    Options
    Both names on deeds?

Any documented agreement from 20 years ago about who owns what %%…?

Do you and/or brother have evidence from purchase of legal costs, plus of any capital improvements since - including receipts/bank records of payment?

btw CGT needs to he reported and paid within 60 days of sale - so you BOTH need to be prepared, paperwork neatly filed....
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you own another house?

Will the  new house be a joint purchase?
  • bluearco_92
    bluearco_92 Posts: 5 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies . I have checked and I have a 50% beneficail interest. Thank you for the CGT calculation Bookworm. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies . I have checked and I have a 50% beneficail interest. Thank you for the CGT calculation Bookworm. 
    If you own anther property, such as your own house, you will need to consider the  additional Stamp Duty Land Tax.
  • Bookworm105
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    OK, in that case you will need to report and pay the CGT within 60 days of the completion date of the sale 
    Tell HMRC about Capital Gains Tax on UK property or land if you’re not a UK resident - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

you yourself do not report anything relating to your brother's share 
  • Bookworm105
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sheramber said:
    If you own anther property, such as your own house, you will need to consider the  additional Stamp Duty Land Tax.
    indeed since it appears the brother will still need a mortgage on the new flat where the OP will be party to the mortgage and therefore, by implication will be a co-owner of the new flat hence triggering additional rate SDLT

Lenders normally require all parties to a mortgage to be on the deeds of the property (and vice versa) so if brother needs a 12k mortgage then budget to pay the extra SDLT on purchase of new flat 
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,829 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like brother is going to need a larger mortgage, because a large chunk of the OP's share of the equity will be eaten up by taxes, although I doubt that he'd get a mortgage for such a low figure?

The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,695 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunate, but the country needs the tax income 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts