CVL/inheritance

Options
castle96
castle96 Posts: 2,899 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 3 May at 1:10PM in Bankruptcy & living with it
One of my sons has come to the end of a CVL (creditors vol liq??) and 'seems' to be completely free of his Ltd Coys massive debt.(Sole director). Bar any future credit reference problems, it seems amazing that you can avoid a debt of this size. (Incls HMRC, paye, bounce back loans {no director guarantee!). If it was a bancruptcy/IVA this wouldn't be the case would it?
My worry is that my Will currently says "1/3 to each son"

I remember when my Dad died the solicitor made a bancruptcy check on me (as any creditors would then have knowledge of my inheritance and have first dibs)
IS?? he completely free of any Company (and personal) liability. I find it hard to believe! though this is what I have researched. (Online/Companies House) He will not discuss with me. If it is the case, why doesn't every debtor go this route instead of IVA/banc?

His house (joint/wife) is being auctioned shortly, with no equity/with arrears. There will be debt here to. No doubt a CCJ to follow? He has no income bar benefits. Would my executor (sister), HAVE to tell anyone (how would she know? I/he havent told her - do executors have to take a credit check in the same way as a solicitor would, or a Gazette notice?),

I don't want to leave him 1/3rd of a largish estate if it is gobbled up. If there is a problem, I would leave his 1/3rd to either/both his brothers for them to pass to him.

Any advice appreciated TIA

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Assume this is a follow up to your previous threads regarding your son's (IVA)/CVL?

MSE tends to deal in consumer debt and a CVL is a business debt solution, although there may be people who understand business debt. Maybe one can refer you to the appropriate source of confident advice?

And is this the same son with complex personal relationships? 
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • castle96
    Options
    Yes, he's the one
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    castle96 said:
    Yes, he's the one
    Might you want to think about directly supporting his children instead of giving all his portion to him? Any inheritance would have to be held in trust until they were 18 years old. You could even open accounts in their names now as long as he opened the accounts?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • castle96
    Options
    Mmmm. One of the kids now resides in Slovakia with a manipulitive mother. Would son have any 'control over the trust/money?, eg 'education'/other 'needs'. Any other advice re original comments would be much appreciated
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    castle96 said:
    One of my sons has come to the end of a CVL (creditors vol liq??) and 'seems' to be completely free of his Ltd Coys massive debt.(Sole director). Bar any future credit reference problems, it seems amazing that you can avoid a debt of this size. (Incls HMRC, paye, bounce back loans {no director guarantee!). If it was a bancruptcy/IVA this wouldn't be the case would it?
    If your son as an individual had gone through any kind of insolvency proceedings, then things would indeed be different. But if it's a CVL, then it's your son's company that has gone through the insolvency proceedings - not him.
    The "limited" in the name of limited companies refers to the liability of the shareholders/directors - it's limited to the amount they invested/promised to invest in the company's shares. There are exceptions, primarily related to personal guarantees but you say your son didn't give any. It's also sometimes possible to "pierce/lift the corporate veil" and go after directors for the debts of a company - but speaking very generally, unless your son has done something fraudulent that won't be a concern.
    The reason people don't choose a CVL instead of bankruptcy/IVA is that they can't. CVLs are for limited companies, and bankruptcy/IVAs are for "natural persons" / living and breathing people.
  • castle96
    Options
    Thanks all. Still wondering about his inheritance from me. What about his/their debt to their Lender
  • castle96
    Options
    Hi all. Any further comments/advice on this please TIA
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business