Name on standing order

Options
Could anyone shed any light on how names on payments from joint accounts sometimes differ please? 
For instance, I made an initial faster payment to a savings account set up in my name and the payment appeared with my name as the payee. 
I then set up a standing order to the same savings account to pay a regular payment each month. However when it has transferred it has my husband’s name as the payee.
Hopefully this won’t break the terms and conditions of the account, I haven’t checked yet. 

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Does this perhaps relate to one of the transactions being subject to Confirmation of Payee validation and the other not?  Which institutions were involved?
  • JazF
    JazF Posts: 30 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 May at 12:19PM
    Options
    Perhaps you are correct @eskbanker The initial payment, although to an account in my name, was subject to confirmation of payee. 
    It is a savings account with Yorkshire Building Society. 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    JazF said:
    Could anyone shed any light on how names on payments from joint accounts sometimes differ please? 
    For instance, I made an initial faster payment to a savings account set up in my name and the payment appeared with my name as the payee
    I then set up a standing order to the same savings account to pay a regular payment each month. However when it has transferred it has my husband’s name as the payee.
    Hopefully this won’t break the terms and conditions of the account, I haven’t checked yet. 
    Just to be clear, do you definitely mean payee rather than payer, i.e. you're referring to how the recipient appears in the sending account, rather than how the sender appears in the receiving account?  Obviously if you're sending from a joint account to a sole account, then the payee should always be the sole name....
  • JazF
    edited 2 May at 12:28PM
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion @eskbanker
     When I log in to my YBS savings account it has my husbands name as the sender. 
    The monies were moved from a Santander joint account and sent to the YBS account held in my name. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's been many years since I last had an SO coming from a joint account... certainly for instant payments from our current account the Payer shows as the person that instigated the payment. From memory for an SO it defaulted to the first named person on the account rather than remembering that SO had been setup by which party... could imagine its similar for other reoccurring payment types but obv not being able to be the receiver of DDs etc cannot say with certainty. 

Why not ask the bank that operate the account the SO is originating from?
  • JazF
    Options
    You are correct @DullGreyGuy
    I have checked and it is because my husband is the first named on the joint account. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback