🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

microwave failed

Options
2»

Comments

• stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 988 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 May at 10:50AM
    Options
    Argos good idea, ( I despise Currys and the attitude of the whole shop and the Currys brand and customer service)
    I like the non turntable ones , you can fit up to say 4 rectangle micro meals in, at once.
    and my old turntable one actually rotted a hole in the base cos of water in the wheel track of the glass turntable, it did last 10 years though 
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • outtatune
    outtatune Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    And nothing wrong with reheating coffee in a microwave.

It's traditional in France and Switzerland to reheat yesterday's undrunk coffee for breakfast.

Of course the tradition started by heating it on a hob, but reheating liquids using Chef Mike is functionally the same. 
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 May at 3:26PM
    Options
    daveyjp said:
    It may have blown the internal fuse, but microwaves aren't things to mess with so once they go pop it is usually uneconomic to repair them as DIY work is limited.

I've never spent that much on one, but Argos have a good range and they will deliver to Sainsbury's for pick up.
    I agree, there can still be enough charge in the capacitors in a microwave to seriously injure or even kill an adult if one opens one up and gets things wrong (eg. does not know what they are doing). I am reasonably technically competent, but I would not go digging around in the internals of a microwave. 
    Indeed.

However it is very frustrating that the special internal fuse can frequently fail through "old age" and not because of any other problem. The fuses can be bought for a couple of quid but it does need to be the correct one. It also needs to be replaced by somebody who knows how to do it safely.

The capacitors should safely discharge themselves in less time that it would take somebody to remove the casing. However, don't bet your life on it! 

Unless you know 100% what you are doing (in which case you probably wouldn't be asking here) either scrap it or maybe see if you can find a small independent repair place.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure