Appointing a Professional as an Executor

Options
After a sizeable inheritance, and looking forward to my upcoming marriage, I wish to make a will. I don't have one right now. 

I've got the division of assets clear in my head, and that's no problem. But, the largest amount of my inheritance will go to my son, but I feel he's not ready to be an executor. My fiancee is from overseas, and again I feel I don't want to put it on her either. At least not yet (for both). 

I'm thinking of appointing a company as executors, such as the Coop. I'd obtain a quote from them first. I'm aware that they will charge for their services, but I think a reduced inheritance is better if it avoids a mess. 

I'm thinking that this won't be my final will, but I want something in place in the interim. Hopefully only for a couple of years or so.

Does anyone have any advice for me, or would anyone be generous enough to share their experiences? 

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would just put your son or your wife , if they want to get professional help at the time (which they may or may not need) they can get it then - if you include a company in the will then they may insist on doing it, may charge ££ and can be incredibly slow - they are plenty of people who come on here stating that their relative put a solicitor or company as exec and that they feel they could handle the estate themselves and now need to get the company to renounce 
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks. I will ask them. But, I must admit that I'm concerned about leaving a very big task for them to handle. 
  • Devongardener
    Devongardener Posts: 425 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you thinking of making your will before your marriage?  It will be invalid once you are married and you’d need to make another.

• RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you thinking of making your will before your marriage?  It will be invalid once you are married and you’d need to make another.

Yes, even if it's just for a few months, I would prefer a will now, and another after marriage. 
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you name your son, it's easy for him to ask a legal firm to actually do the probate, and a lot cheaper than appointing that firm as executors. Just brief him.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,974 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 2 May at 9:26AM
    Options
    If the task is too big for them the executor can appoint their own choice of solicitor at the time. This has all the advantages of appointing a solicitor in a Will except one, and makes them much less vulnerable to delays and overcharging because they can shop around and sack the solicitor at any time. 

Have you discussed your plans with your son and/or fiancée? You could just tell them that you plan to appoint him / her / them as executors and explain the process to follow if they don't want to handle the estate themselves.

Is the problem that you don't feel they have the time / wherewithal to administer an estate, or that you don't trust either to not try to disinherit the other? (The latter scenario is the only potential advantage of appointing solicitors in the Will.)

Bear in mind that on your death, your wife and your son could ask the solicitors to step down anyway, and they would have to do so unless there was a good reason not to. (Richman v WAG Davidson.)
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I'd double check with the solicitor drafting the will, but my laymans understanding is that if a will is made 'in contemplation of marriage' then it remains valid after the marriage takes place. 

Yes, we had a Will drafted in "contemplation of marriage", so it's still relevant today - 8 years after we married!
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,244 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I'd double check with the solicitor drafting the will, but my laymans understanding is that if a will is made 'in contemplation of marriage' then it remains valid after the marriage takes place. 
    We made our wills with a solicitor shortly before our wedding, they included that phrase. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    OP, please don't put the Co-op or similar as Executor of your Will.  When the time comes, if you have named your son/wife to be Executor, they can always appoint a solicitor to act on their behalf, if they feel the task is too much for them to handle.

My aunt appointed a probate solicitor as Executor of her estate, back when she did her Will in 2016.  She died in June 2023 and the solicitor got probate granted in December 2023.  We are still waiting for the solicitor to distribute the estate as they are waiting for any creditors to come out of the woodwork and to settle any debts.  We get no information from them about likely timescales.  The estate is simple, an excepted estate, one main beneficiary and several residual beneficiaries.  Although a few of us were more than capable of carrying out the administration of her estate, we have had to use this solicitor as they were the named Executor and they refused to renounce.  This particular solicitor has actually retired and no longer practices, but rather than hand it to whatever company took over the files, he is doing it himself.  He is charging around £15,000 for his "services".

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback