Nationwide and strange things with a refund processed by Apple Pay and Paypal

Options

Hi community!

I was wondering what may be going on regarding the following please, I almost never purchase/pay to use Apps on the App Store so I don't have a clue what's happening-

So I purchased, say a £9.58 monthly subscription, offered by an app I got via my iPhone' App Store and to make the purchase I used my Paypal's details registered on my Apple Wallet.

As the app didn't deliver what it promised I had to stop the subscription and request a refund via reportaproblem.apple.com two days later.

I then immediately received an email from Paypal confirming that I was going to receive the £9.58 refund within 4 days and then an email from Apple with the heading "Credit Note" indicating the £9.58 (Two days before I had received a similar email from Apple but with the heading "Invoice" for the £9.58, reflecting the original purchase/payment)

Now, what I am noticing is that none of either the debit and credit transactions for the £9.58 going out and then coming in again were registered under my Nationwide debit card I used to make the payment- So my Nationwide account doesn't show evidence that transaction was conducted and I have therefore no evidence to confirm whether I received the refund or not.

So, my guess it's that Apple/Paypal essentially didn't initially charge anything against my account and therefore didn't need to refund me anything, but I still find absolutely non-sensical that they didn't leave a mark/evidence/register of the transactions on my bank account; Also, bear in mind the transactions occurred in December 2023, so plenty of time has elapsed for them to be reflected on my account.

Is my guess correct? They didn't charge anything so didn't need to return any money? But why wouldn’t they reflect the transactions on my bank account?

Please, be kind with me as I have some mental health disabilities that have prevented me from addressing this situation before now and which could also explain my confusion regarding this matter.

Kind regards!

Comments

• wiseonesomeofthetime
    wiseonesomeofthetime Posts: 2,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    At a guess, the pending transaction never went to full processed status and so simply "dropped off".

That is only a guess, mind.
  • mich_52
    mich_52 Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    At a guess, the pending transaction never went to full processed status and so simply "dropped off".

That is only a guess, mind.

Thanks wise!
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have had quick refunds that have canceled out pending payments over the weekend. By Monday pending was clear and there was no transaction record.
  • boingy
    boingy Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    hoc said:
    I have had quick refunds that have canceled out pending payments over the weekend. By Monday pending was clear and there was no transaction record.
    I think that's probably exactly what happened. It's all good.  :)

(When I started reading the OP I thought it was going to be another "I cancelled the subscription but they kept taking the money" posts).
  • Mccollah
    Mccollah Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi you always have to make sure that you’re Bank is in the know regarding you mystery, contact them and ask regarding transactions with other services. PayPal will take the money instantly and it will also leave a paper trail, it has to (money laundering ) .  
  • mich_52
    mich_52 Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mccollah said:
    Hi you always have to make sure that you’re Bank is in the know regarding you mystery, contact them and ask regarding transactions with other services. PayPal will take the money instantly and it will also leave a paper trail, it has to (money laundering ) .  

I will do so, thanks!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure