PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Additional survey request from buyer

Options
Hi all,

This is my first post, been an anonymous lurker for quite a while :smile:

I accepted an offer on my Victorian Terrace recently, which I have lived in for 12 years, it was just over the asking price as I had 3 offers the day after it went on sale. I accepted the highest offer from a cash buyer who wanted to rent it out - I thought the sale would be quicker/simpler, plus the extra cash would be useful.

The property is a classic 3-bedroom Victorian Terrace, back bedroom split to make a bathroom. The property was gutted between 2005-2008, according to the neighbours, adding UPVC windows, central heating, re-wired, new plumbing, re-plastered, plus a new bathroom and kitchen. Some of the finishing wasn’t done to the highest of standards and the lead mains water pipe hadn’t been replace – guess this may have been because the recession kicked-in.

12 months after I purchased the property from the new owners, who only stayed for a few years following the refurbishment, I decided to finish it off. I replaced the remaining lead pipe with plastic and a new blue pipe to the mains, replaced the open coal fire in the living room with gas, put a new kitchen and bathroom in of a much higher spec, meaning I stripped both rooms right back, and re-decorated throughout. During this process I had most of the floorboards up, both upstairs and the only suspended floor downstairs, the living room. It took exactly 12 month start-to-finish. The property has been fairly-well maintained by me since then, happy to do any repairs myself or get a professional in for anything I can’t do, i.e. the roof as I don’t like heights.

The potential buyer organised a Level 3 survey which reported a few visible snags, that I can repair myself quite easily, but also recommended further investigations which were not visible. 1: Timber survey of the joists in the living room floor. 2: Structural investigations of a chimney breast removal where not all of it was removed, the lower breast was removed as was the chimney stack/pot, but not from the room above or the loft – the intention being to check what is left is correctly supported. As far as 1 is concerned I know the floor is OK, I’ve seen it, plus the surveyor didn’t even try a “bounce test”, it was just recommended because of the age of the property - from the survey. Regarding 2, there is no sign of stress or cracking in the ceiling/walls below the remaining chimney and it’s been like that since at least 2008, maybe earlier, I have no idea when the chimney was removed (house on the party wall also has chimney partially removed in the same way). I’m therefore assuming it was done correctly at the time, RSJ, Gallows Bracket, or even just timber, depends on when it was done.

The potential buyer wants me to remove the carpets and floorboards in 2 rooms to allow the surveys to take place, this sounds very intrusive and time consuming, especially as no evidence has been produced that anything is wrong. I did suggest using an Endoscope to check, although I’m not sure this would prove conclusive, but we never got that far anyway as he insisted I pay 50% of the costs to feed his paranoia!

If this happens again with another survey, does anyone have any recommendations as to how I should proceed?

Thanks

Comments

• propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So I take it you refused and the buyer has gone on his way?

I wouldn't worry too much. Few surveyors expect floorboards to be lifted.
  • xmsdave
    xmsdave Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, yes the buyer pulled out when I refused to split the costs.

I thought the request was unusual and very invasive, the request to split the costs was the icing on the cake!

I did do a bit of research on a timber survey, one company put on their website that they do not do full surveys prior to exchange of contracts, only using an endoscope. They recommend a full survey only when planning a refurbishment.
  • Millsandovis
    Millsandovis Posts: 84 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 May at 7:32PM
    Options
    Depending on the area you live in and if there’s a lot of interest in your property then I would hold your ground and refuse. If they’re a nightmare now they’ll be a nightmare later on (some people might not think this is them being a nightmare but I would) 

I told my estate agents not to sell to people who had taken numerous pictures during an open house to later bring up issues. No offer and no idea about proceedabilty but demanding answers from me and taking pictures. Some people might not see a problem with that but I did and simply wouldn’t entertain selling to them. It’s not always about money but I’m in a privileged position in the area I’m selling in 
  • BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 579 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Depending on the area you live in and if there’s a lot of interest in your property then I would hold your ground and refuse. If they’re a nightmare now they’ll be a nightmare later on (some people might not think this is them being a nightmare but I would) 

I told my estate agents not to sell to people who had taken numerous pictures during an open house to later bring up issues. No offer and no idea about proceedabilty but demanding answers from me and taking pictures. Some people might not see a problem with that but I did and simply wouldn’t entertain selling to them. It’s not always about money but I’m in a privileged position in the area I’m selling in 
    You take offence at people taking photos and asking questions about something they might be spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on?

I'm glad I'm not buying in your area.
  • Millsandovis
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options

You take offence at people taking photos and asking questions about something they might be spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on?

I can do that when I’ve had 3 offers from 8 viewings, 4 more viewings on Friday and 45 booked for Saturday. 

I’m glad you’re not as well, you might end up disappointed. 
  • xmsdave
    xmsdave Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I just reread the email from the EA, turns out it wasn’t the surveyor asking to lift the floorboards, it was the buyer, said he wanted to be in attendance when a structural engineer lifted the floorboards.

I should have mentioned before, the buyer was a retired Civil Engineer. 
  • BarelySentientAI
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 May at 8:21PM
    Options

I can do that when I’ve had 3 offers from 8 viewings, 4 more viewings on Friday and 45 booked for Saturday. 

Congratulations - you are the pinnacle of all vendors because you have offers on your property, an example to all, and we must bow to your obvious wisdom.

Or in the real world, not everyone needs a nightmare to deal with on either side of the equation.  It wouldn't disappoint me at all.  In fact it would be, and is, a complete pleasure to not be buying from you. 

I'm sure you'll do great with whichever buyer you choose.  Happy selling!
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    cash buy to let can be the worse buyers
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Millsandovis
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Congratulations - you are the pinnacle of all vendors because you have offers on your property, an example to all, and we must bow to your obvious wisdom.

Or in the real world, not everyone needs a nightmare to deal with on either side of the equation.  It wouldn't disappoint me at all.  In fact it would be, and is, a complete pleasure to not be buying from you. 
    I literally said in my original post not everyone would be bothered by their actions. But I am. No one mentioned offended other than you. They’re not spending hundreds of thousands on anything by the way as they haven’t even put an offer forward. Once an offer is accepted they could have a Eurovision party in my living room for all I care. But at this point with this level of interest I can filter who I would sell to. Which is my right. 

Or in the real world, not everyone needs a nightmare to deal with on either side of the equation.’ Congratulations, that’s my point. What you consider a nightmare is different to what I do. 

What a bizarre post. I literally said in the original response not everyone would be bothered by it but I am and people still find a problem with it. 
  • BarelySentientAI
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    xmsdave said:
    I just reread the email from the EA, turns out it wasn’t the surveyor asking to lift the floorboards, it was the buyer, said he wanted to be in attendance when a structural engineer lifted the floorboards.

I should have mentioned before, the buyer was a retired Civil Engineer. 
    Oof.  I'm not sure the engineer would have enjoyed doing that survey a whole lot if it did go ahead.

I think you made the right call.  No need for destructive surveys with extremely good evidence that they are necessary, and even less need for you to agree paying towards them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback