Free trading offer from HL. £100 for 7 weeks

Options
Might be of interest to some, especially if you were going to trade anyway. Free trades between 1st May and 21st June. New and existing clients. Takes a bite out those £11.95s
  1. Subject to these terms and conditions, you are eligible to receive £100 worth of free online share trades between 1 May 2024 to 21 June 2024 (the “Offer Period”). The offer includes deals in UK and overseas shares, investment trusts, exchange-traded funds (‘ETFs’), gilts, bonds and any listed security and applies to both existing and new HL clients. This offer does not apply to any other products, services or investments offered by HL.
  2. How the offer works: If you place a trade online (via our website or mobile app) during the Offer Period, we will charge you your standard online dealing charge. Within 7 working days of the Offer Period ending (by or on 30 June 2024), we will refund you all online dealing charges up to a maximum value of £100 for the trades you made during the Offer Period. The offer includes the charge for a share-exchange (Bed & ISA and Bed & SIPP).

Comments

• fun4everyone
    fun4everyone Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ahh, of course I did multiple share trades last week.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,474 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's very handy as I've almost completed a transfer in to HL. I had planned to keep my account inactive for the 12 months I'll need to stay put, but looks like I'll get a free rebalance next month as well as some lovely cashback.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ColdIron said:
    Might be of interest to some, especially if you were going to trade anyway. Free trades between 1st May and 21st June. New and existing clients. Takes a bite out those £11.95s
    1. Subject to these terms and conditions, you are eligible to receive £100 worth of free online share trades between 1 May 2024 to 21 June 2024 (the “Offer Period”). The offer includes deals in UK and overseas shares, investment trusts, exchange-traded funds (‘ETFs’), gilts, bonds and any listed security and applies to both existing and new HL clients. This offer does not apply to any other products, services or investments offered by HL.
    2. How the offer works: If you place a trade online (via our website or mobile app) during the Offer Period, we will charge you your standard online dealing charge. Within 7 working days of the Offer Period ending (by or on 30 June 2024), we will refund you all online dealing charges up to a maximum value of £100 for the trades you made during the Offer Period. The offer includes the charge for a share-exchange (Bed & ISA and Bed & SIPP).
    Did you get this offer personally? They have not contacted me.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,152 Forumite
    Options
    It was an email about 15:00. It's at the top of their landing page so I'd imagine that it's open to all
  • ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Also promoted as a banner in the HL app.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up @ColdIron , might be useful later this month for my Mum's ISA.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • ColdIron
    edited 2 May at 7:41PM
    Options
    Yes, it's no use to me for purchases in my GIA or ISA as they are free anyway with Monthly Savings but possibly for sales. It could be useful for rebalancing where the values wouldn't ordinarily justify the overhead
    However I shall make most use of it in my drawdown SIPP where all trades would usually incur a fee. I am rotating some ETFs, so no transaction fee or SDRT means a completely free trade pair
    Yesterday I swapped some of my VHYL for VWRP and the transaction fee was £8.95. I assume the reduced fee was due to 10+ trades in the previous month
    What I haven't completely figured out yet is that the trades in April were 6 x £0 Monthly Savings in my ISA and 4 chargeable ones in the SIPP. I had always assumed that the 'deals' were per account and not across accounts
    I am not unhappy as I can now place 11 trades instead of 8 until June and likely reduced fees in July
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    edited 2 May at 11:39PM
    Options
    ColdIron said:
    Yes, it's no use to me for purchases in my GIA or ISA as they are free anyway with Monthly Savings but possibly for sales. It could be useful for rebalancing where the values wouldn't ordinarily justify the overhead
    However I shall make most use of it in my drawdown SIPP where all trades would usually incur a fee. I am rotating some ETFs, so no transaction fee or SDRT means a completely free trade pair
    Yesterday I swapped some of my VHYL for VWRP and the transaction fee was £8.95. I assume the reduced fee was due to 10+ trades in the previous month
    What I haven't completely figured out yet is that the trades in April were 6 x £0 Monthly Savings in my ISA and 4 chargeable ones in the SIPP. I had always assumed that the 'deals' were per account and not across accounts
    I am not unhappy as I can now place 11 trades instead of 8 until June and likely reduced fees in July
    According to clause 5, HL won't refund stamp duty nor the PTM levy (where applicable). Its just HL's dealing fee they'll refund.

Edit: looks like you probably won't pay stamp duty any with (likely Irish domiciled) ETFs, but worth flagging for others.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • ColdIron
    Options
    ColdIron said:
    According to clause 5, HL won't refund stamp duty nor the PTM levy (where applicable). Its just HL's dealing fee they'll refund.
    Yes, it's just a break on the dealing charges that HL levy. Even ISAs and SIPPs are not exempt from statutory charges
    Edit: looks like you probably won't pay stamp duty any with (likely Irish domiciled) ETFs, but worth flagging for others.
    Yes again
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,668 Forumite
    Options
    Other established platforms such as Fidelity and AJ Bell have been reducing dealing costs (which were already cheaper than HL) to compete with new entrants. There's got to be a limit to how long HL can get people to continue paying £11.95 coupled with the high 0.45% on tax advantaged accounts. I guess this offer buys them time but once it's over the pressure will be on them again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback