What does the term 'docquetted' mean in a will?

Options
Can anyone explain what the term 'docquetted' means in relation to a will?

Comments

• glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 647 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The term "docquetted" in relation to a will refers to the process of formally authenticating a will in Scotland. This involves the executor endorsing the will with a statement in Latin that attests to its validity, typically written on a separate sheet or cover page attached to the main document.

Docquetting is an essential step in the Scottish legal process for obtaining a Grant of Confirmation, which is the equivalent of probate in England and Wales. This process ensures that the will is properly verified and can be executed according to the deceased's wishes.
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 565 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I understand it means logged, or listed
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have you Googled the term?

Seems it's something done in Scotland with regard to the Confirmation process.  But I'm only half-Scottish and have lived in England all my life, so don't know any more than Google tells me.
  • ScotGlasgow1
    ScotGlasgow1 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Can anyone give an example of a 'docquetted' statement for a will in Scotland? bIn short, what would I actually write to docquette / verify the will?

• buddy9
    buddy9 Posts: 470 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    See here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/4965475/grant-of-confirmation/p59

for an example relative to an application for Confirmation.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    glennevis said:
     This involves the executor endorsing the will with a statement in Latin that attests to its validity, typically written on a separate sheet or cover page attached to the main document.
    In my experience, it's in English, and written on the front of the Will itself. Never seen one in Latin!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    user1977 said:
    glennevis said:
     This involves the executor endorsing the will with a statement in Latin that attests to its validity, typically written on a separate sheet or cover page attached to the main document.
    In my experience, it's in English, and written on the front of the Will itself. Never seen one in Latin!
    Posters here have certainly given numerous examples on this board, and I've never seen one in Latin!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,865 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Googling would do the job perfectly eg https://www.justanswer.com/scottish-law/gx5ht-applying-confirmation-need-wording.html

and scroll down a bit when you open the link
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback