Pension recommendations

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm currently deciding what to do about my pension, and I'm a bit stuck.

I have 2 small-ish pension pots from former employers which I'm no longer paying into (I became self-employed in 2019). Combined, these pension pots amount to just under £5,000.

I'm 30 this year and now have around £30,000 I'd like to invest as part of my pension, but unsure where to put it. I'm wondering whether I should consolidate everything into one place so that it's easier to manage, or if I should keep the pensions separate to avoid transfer charges.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Phoenix72
    Phoenix72 Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you sufficient net relevant earnings to make a £30,000 contribution in 1 year?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm 30 this year and now have around £30,000 I'd like to invest as part of my pension, but unsure where to put it. I'm wondering whether I should consolidate everything into one place so that it's easier to manage, or if I should keep the pensions separate to avoid transfer charges.
    Consolidating into a new plan could be viable but one of your existing plans could be viable too.  You would need to do an analysis of them.

When you say self employed, do you mean sole trader, partnership or limited company structures?  (it makes a difference)

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • DollyD123
    DollyD123 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Phoenix72 said:
    Do you sufficient net relevant earnings to make a £30,000 contribution in 1 year?
    Probably not in 1 year, no – this amount is from a few years of saving since buying my first home
  • DollyD123
    DollyD123 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    dunstonh said:
    Consolidating into a new plan could be viable but one of your existing plans could be viable too.  You would need to do an analysis of them.

When you say self employed, do you mean sole trader, partnership or limited company structures?  (it makes a difference)

Thanks – I'm going to check what the fees are for moving the funds and then decide.

I'm a sole trader :)
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,665 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    there generally isn't a fee for transferring a pension to a different provider
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    DollyD123 said:
    dunstonh said:

Thanks – I'm going to check what the fees are for moving the funds and then decide.

I'm a sole trader :)
    Normally there are no fees for transferring anymore. PLus it is very easy to do online.
    The tricky bit is deciding on what to invest in within the pension. 
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Normally there are no fees for transferring anymore.

Let's hope there are no nasty shocks....

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6525272/transferring-an-old-pension

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback