A garage outsourced my car

Options
Hi I'm new here, and hoping for some help or advice. I put my car in to the garage in January for a broken clutch which was repaired, however it started slipping again at the end of march. 
I called the garage and they immediately blamed me and my wife driving, didn't even consider that it was faulty parts, but they would to look at it.
I put the car in at the start of April and it's still there now, I have since found out that the garage where I put it in have outsourced the work to another garage and this is what they did in January as well. 
Does anyone know if this is allowed, as I'm not even being given quotes for the work and i think it should be completed within a warranty situation. Cheers for your help.

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi I'm new here, and hoping for some help or advice. I put my car in to the garage in January for a broken clutch which was repaired, however it started slipping again at the end of march. 
    I called the garage and they immediately blamed me and my wife driving, didn't even consider that it was faulty parts, but they would to look at it.
    I put the car in at the start of April and it's still there now, I have since found out that the garage where I put it in have outsourced the work to another garage and this is what they did in January as well. 
    Does anyone know if this is allowed, as I'm not even being given quotes for the work and i think it should be completed within a warranty situation. Cheers for your help.
    Yes it is allowed.

A clutch is regarded as a consumable so is generally excluded from a vehicle warranty. There may be a warranty claim for a replacement fitted in January, but that would depend on what was agreed at the point of the work being done, otherwise there may be a consumer rights claim. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's certainly allowed. 

Back in my insurance claims day's many with prestige marks, particularly BMWs, were insistent that their car went to BMW garage. We tried to explain that most of their garages dont have a bodyshop and just outsource to the local coachworks and often these were the same companies that we could offer directly with a much smoother claims experience plus our warranty on the repairs. 

Most ignored us and lost their warranty with us simply to get the opportunity to pay their excess to BMW, a few did call back afterwards incensed that they'd found out we were right and BMW hadn't themselves done the work but the same coachworks that we'd recommended but they didnt want. Never worked out why it was us they were ranting at when it was their garage that did it and we'd warned them that it was likely what was to happen. 

Ultimately your contract is with the garage you instructed and its their responsibility to ensure the works done properly irrespective of if they outsource or deal in house.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,763 Forumite
    Options
    Think of it like taking your car for service & MOT & garage does not do MOT. What do they do? Take it to a 3rd party.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's certainly allowed. 

Back in my insurance claims day's many with prestige marks, particularly BMWs, were insistent that their car went to BMW garage. We tried to explain that most of their garages dont have a bodyshop and just outsource to the local coachworks and often these were the same companies that we could offer directly with a much smoother claims experience plus our warranty on the repairs. 

Most ignored us and lost their warranty with us simply to get the opportunity to pay their excess to BMW, a few did call back afterwards incensed that they'd found out we were right and BMW hadn't themselves done the work but the same coachworks that we'd recommended but they didnt want. Never worked out why it was us they were ranting at when it was their garage that did it and we'd warned them that it was likely what was to happen. 

Ultimately your contract is with the garage you instructed and its their responsibility to ensure the works done properly irrespective of if they outsource or deal in house.
    This is my experience albeit with Mazda for servicing, they are perfectly clear the MOT is done off site and sort out any possible failures before sending it because they know what will be a failure but aren't authorised to test themselves! As ever the Karens who know best find out the hard way!
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,463 Forumite
    Options
    This is where you need a know a good local mechanic. Mine is very good.
    He did 8/10 for me over 20 years.
    I would only ever get Borg & beck, Luc or sachs clutch fitted.
    I would then get another 100k miles mini cabbing the car.
    At a minimum.
    Overall the upfront cost was say £50 more than the cheap SXXT clutches they try to use.
    I would buy a car to cab with at least 100k on the clock, Replace the Timing belt, Water pump, Brakes and discs, Full service, wipers etc.
    Then drive them for 50k miles a year.
    If a clutch was needed so be it.
    Ps, mine went in and out of the garage same day.
    So its not good you are waiting.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure