Remove wall mounted gas fire

Options
Does anyone know a reasonable quote for getting a gas fire removed and called off? Been quoted £170 which sounds high. Thanks 

Comments

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Capped off? £170 sounds reasonable, assuming they'll have to disconnect the pipework to the fire as well as remove the fire and make everything safe. It's usually £70 by the time they get to your front door. If you shop around you might get a few quid less but if you've been recommended someone and they've quoted £170, I'd say that's a decent price.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think that sounds reasonable - you want the job done properly 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    To simply cap off the gas and leave the pipe exposed where it is then £170 sounds high to me. The "removing the fire" could be as simple as just lifting it off the wall mount in which case it adds nothing to the price or at the other extreme it could be removing it and the mount, making good the wall behind and taking the fire away for you in which case the £170 sounds good. If you want something better done with the supply and the wall made good after then the price may be cheap. 

Why not speak to a second trades for a comparable quote and clarify with them exactly the scope of works. 
  • Louiselody
    Louiselody Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks all. Got a few more quotes and got it capped and fully removed for £123 inc vat
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks all. Got a few more quotes and got it capped and fully removed for £123 inc vat
    Sounds like a good price.
    Just check that the person doing it is Gas Safe registered.  Takes a few seconds to check online: https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer-or-check-the-register/

• rob7475
    rob7475 Posts: 860 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 May at 12:21PM
    Options
    You need to make sure you're comparing like for like quotes. One quote may be higher but includes making good the hole in the wall behind the fire while the other will just take the fire off the brackets and leave you to sort the wall out.

You also need to clarify where they will cap the gas pipe. Some will cap it near the fire so you are left with a gas pipe on show where some may lift the floorboards etc and cap it so it's out of sight.
  • Louiselody
    Louiselody Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    So I got someone to just take the fire off the brackets (not make the hole good) and cap off so it’s flush with the flooring. But now I have the hole to sort out. Put a piece of plaster board over it, or brick it up and plaster? What’s the minimum standard to make it look less unsightly?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback