Share information

Options
Why are some shares listed as Ord NPV and some listed as Ordinary 2p 0r 5p? That is on my HL account, I cannot see those letters when I look on Google.
I find the information on Google much easier to view and understand.

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Refers to the nominal value of a share when they it's first issued. This is the amount of equity that the shareholder has in the business for each share held. 

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't believe there's any agreed standard that's enforceable, so different data providers can choose how they display the descriptions, with the likes of the ISIN code used as a definitive unique key for identification purposes.
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 30 April at 8:44PM
    Options
    Why are some shares listed as Ord NPV and some listed as Ordinary 2p 0r 5p? That is on my HL account, I cannot see those letters when I look on Google.

Can you give a couple of examples of, "Ord NPV" shares? The ones in London are often foreign companies (this includes the Channel Islands). I think it indicates, 'no par value.'

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/noparvalue.asp
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wmb194 said:

Can you give a couple of examples of, "Ord NPV" shares? The ones in London are often foreign companies (this includes the Channel Islands). I think it indicates, 'no par value.'

Playtech plc, Ord NPV and Aclara Resources Inc, NPV are my only ones

• wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    wmb194 said:

Playtech plc, Ord NPV and Aclara Resources Inc, NPV are my only ones

Playtech is Isle of Man - an 'IM' ISIN - so 'foreign' and Aclara appears to be Canadian. It doesn't really matter, it only affects the way shares are issued and how their proceeds are accounted for on the balance sheet.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback