PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp duty following separation

Options
I have seen similar threads but none quite the same so apologies for any repetition.

My wife and I are separating and selling our joint house, splitting the proceeds then will buy two separate homes (one each in our own names, not joint). We are not intending to divorce at this stage ("amicable" separation). Question is whether one of the new purchases will attract the higher stamp duty? If so, is there anything we can do to quickly make the separation more formal from a tax perspective (preferably avoiding too much expense/time)?

Thanks all

Comments

• newsgroupmonkey_
    newsgroupmonkey_ Posts: 951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Some advice as a divorcee.

Separations are often amicable. Divorces often aren't.
    Once you get lawyers involved and they start telling you and your ex what you are and aren't entitled to, things get messy.

In terms of the original question, if you are buying a house and your wife is buying a house, then there is no additional SDLT required.
    https://www.mercianaccountants.co.uk/stamp-duty-divorce/#Marriage_vs_Separation_The_3_SDLT_Surcharge

• finance_dud_guy
    Options
    Thanks @newsgroupmonkey_ . That is useful and reflects what I thought. I guess the question may arise as to how to define "agree to separate permanently" and what the HMRC would take as proof (I'd be surprised if just telling them would suffice). I know there is an application (costs £385??) to get separation recognised by the government but not sure if this is worth it or what the implications are. Some more digging required methinks. Cheers
  • Bookworm105
    Bookworm105 Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    in essence, permanent separation would be judged on "the matter of facts" in the absence of formal documentation
    - are you next door neighbours or opposite ends of the country!
    - how often are you seen (by neighbours) to visit (incl overnight!!!!!)

Whether your case would ever reach the stage of an "on the ground" investigation is of course somewhat unlikely in these times of limited people resources.
  • finance_dud_guy
    Options
    Great - thanks - that is comforting. I think we should be OK to plough on and pay two lower rate stamp duties based on this and comments from our conveyancing solicitor 
  • AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    I called HMRC stamp duty helpline about my divorce and they said it would need to be formal before we are exempt.  That we would need to pay the extra stamp duty and then claim it back when the divorce is complete.

There are so many articles from solicitors on the net about tax on divorce that it isn't clear to me and I am not sure how much help you can get from the helpline either!

If I were in your position, I would consult a tax lawyer, who will be able to give you the definitive answer.
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    AskAsk said:
    I called HMRC stamp duty helpline about my divorce and they said it would need to be formal before we are exempt.  That we would need to pay the extra stamp duty and then claim it back when the divorce is complete.

There are so many articles from solicitors on the net about tax on divorce that it isn't clear to me and I am not sure how much help you can get from the helpline either!

If I were in your position, I would consult a tax lawyer, who will be able to give you the definitive answer.
    It seems to me the HMRC helpline have got it hopelessly wrong here!  That is not uncommon.
  • AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    edited 16 May at 6:54PM
    Options
    SDLT_Geek said:
    AskAsk said:

It seems to me the HMRC helpline have got it hopelessly wrong here!  That is not uncommon.
    going through the divorce process at the moment and we are in the 20 weeks waiting period.  the problem is that until the divorce is final, you can change your mind at any time and abandon the divorce process, so I think this is why HMRC wants to see proof that we have actually got the divorce before you can avoid the extra stamp duty as otherwise people may pretend to be starting the process and actually never go through with it, to avoid the tax.

or they actually do abandon the process for one reason or another and HMRC wouldn't want to keep an eye on what is happening with someone's divorce to demand the extra stamp duty.  the tax man asks for the tax first and it is up to you to claim it back when you have proof that we are no longer a couple.
  • Bookworm105
    Bookworm105 Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 May at 9:44PM
    Options
    AskAsk said:
    SDLT_Geek said:
    AskAsk said:

going through the divorce process at the moment and we are in the 20 weeks waiting period.  the problem is that until the divorce is final, you can change your mind at any time and abandon the divorce process, so I think this is why HMRC wants to see proof that we have actually got the divorce before you can avoid the extra stamp duty as otherwise people may pretend to be starting the process and actually never go through with it, to avoid the tax.

or they actually do abandon the process for one reason or another and HMRC wouldn't want to keep an eye on what is happening with someone's divorce to demand the extra stamp duty.  the tax man asks for the tax first and it is up to you to claim it back when you have proof that we are no longer a couple.
    you are overlooking the fact that HMRC phone answerers are first and foremost call centre staff.
    They are not technical experts and only "know" what it tells them on their screen in the few seconds they have to read it before having to reply to a caller.

It is a given that their answers are superficial and slanted to HMRC, not the letter of the tax law 
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    AskAsk said:
    SDLT_Geek said:
    AskAsk said:

you are overlooking the fact that HMRC phone answerers are first and foremost call centre staff.
    They are not technical experts and only "know" what it tells them on their screen in the few seconds they have to read it before having to reply to a caller.

It is a given that their answers are superficial and slanted to HMRC, not the letter of the tax law 
    I agree the HMRC helpline staff are not technical experts. Sometimes their answers are slanted to HMRC, other times they give people false hope. 

Other people call multiple times and get a different answer on each occasion.  It is very frustrating!
  • pjs493
    pjs493 Posts: 419 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You can legally separate without divorcing if that's something you might consider doing. Usually it's something that is only done by people for religious reasons or if they otherwise find divorce objectionable. A legal separation can be applied for through family court and once done means things like finances, etc are considered completely separate.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback