Carpet SCS

Options
I had all new carpets from SCS 13 months ago. i called the fitter back a month ago to have a look at them as the wear on the carpets were terrible. Upon looking at the carpets and peeling them back he found delamination of the carpets.
He kindly sent the photographs off to head office with an email to say that the wear of the carpets was terrible and that they were all faulty.
I did not hear anything, so I chased SCS , after a few weeks they have sent a letter back, saying the manufacture has said no claim as they are not faulty and not willing to do anything else and file is closed.
The carpets cost nearly 2,500 pound they look like they have been down 20 years, there is only 2 of us in the house and we do not wear outside shoes in the house.
I have never had carpet that looks like this. Surely if the underneath backing of carpets are coming away it is a fault.
they have not even sent anyone down to look at the carpets..

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you paid by card contact the card company.
    Credit card   S75
    Bank card     Chargeback
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you have a copy of the email that the fitter sent? This would be very useful as proof of a fault. 

As suggested above, if you paid by card try contacting your card company. If not, or you have no luck with them, small claims court would be your only option. However with proof of fault I'd expect this to be a formality. 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    McKneff said:
    If you paid by card contact the card company.
    Credit card   S75
    Bank card     Chargeback
    Chargeback won't be an option over a year after purchase, such claims need to be raised within 120 days....
  • Walkermoon
    Walkermoon Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I am a sales rep for a carpet manufacturer. When a carpet delaminates it means the backing has not been adhered to the top cloth, probably insufficient latex. Delamination means the carpet can ripple as the carpet pile and backing have separated. This is definitely a manufacturing fault.
    If the carpets are looking really flat, are you using a suction only/ Henry type vacuum cleaner ? Cut pile carpets need an upright vacuum cleaner which has a beater bar to lift the pile.
    If you paid only £2500 for supply & fit of a whole house it sounds as though you have a polypropylene carpet which flatten badly. I would always recommend an 80% wool / 20% carpet. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback