IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN for overstay despite entire time spent spending £££ in store

Options
Hi all, 
I've had a £90/£45 PCN from Parkingeye Ltd after overstaying in Lidl Aberystwyth. I was clocked at staying 1h45m when the limit is apparently 1h30m. Whilst I can't deny this was the case, what seems stupidly unfair is that I spent the entire time shopping in the Lidl store and can evidence 2 separate transactions totalling over £200. I bought so much stuff in Lidl that I had to buy half, exit the store to fill up my car and then return in to fill up another trolley. That mammoth shop took me 1h45m as the store receipts clearly show... so I naturally feel aggreived at being fined.
Furthermore, Parkingeye have only successfully delivered the PCN to me at my correct address yesterday (29/04), a full 44 days after the event in question. This was due to me having recently changed address and Parkingeye wrongly delivering to my old address and then later discovering my new address from "a Credit Reference Agency". Is this alone valid grounds for me to dispute the PCN?, I'm wondering. 
Parkingeye say they "could not have reasonably known I was at a different address" and are "willing to offer me the ability to pay the Parking Charge at the reduced amount". I haven't responded yet and am not sure how best to play this.
Many thanks for any advice. This forum really DOES make a massive difference in fighting these shysters.

Comments

• sew_what
    sew_what Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you spoken to the duty manager at the Aldi Store?  They were very helpful with mine!
  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 356 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Definitely complain to Lidl and get it cancelled by the business, even if you have to complain about the PCN to the UK CEO themselves, but store manager first, with proof of patronage 

Ensure that you have updated your driving licence and also the V5c document asap too
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 April at 12:53PM
    Options
    I would complain to Lidl Head Office (NOT THE STORE) this week and attach a copy of the receipt (and vent your anger).  Ask them to step in and cancel it as a goodwill gesture.

Give them seven days to sort it.  State that deadline at the end of the email.

Then next week appeal the PCN to ParkingEye online, - NOT USING A TEMPLATE - but instead:

1. confirming which is your right address

2. stating 'you must erase the old address'

3.  referring to your big shop and attaching the receipt.

FINALLY you haven't updated the address in your logbook.  That's what caused the delay & the DVLA can issue a real fine for that, so update the address of your V5C now!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Minimalist1978
    Minimalist1978 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would complain to Lidl Head Office (NOT THE STORE) this week and attach a copy of the receipt (and vent your anger).  Ask them to step in and cancel it as a goodwill gesture.

Give them seven days to sort it.  State that deadline at the end of the email.

Then next week appeal the PCN to ParkingEye online, - NOT USING A TEMPLATE - but instead:

1. confirming which is your right address

2. stating 'you must erase the old address'

3.  referring to your big shop and attaching the receipt.

FINALLY you haven't updated the address in your logbook.  That's what caused the delay & the DVLA can issue a real fine for that, so update the address of your V5C now!
    Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Actually I did update my V5C address about a month ago (in between the shop and the fine reaching me) as well as that of my license, but it must have been after their original PCN got sent out. 

I've done much as you've suggested, first phoning Lidl HQ, who then sent a formal email to me, to which I replied with my store receipts and PCN copy. They said they'll respond within 7 days. I'll follow up with ParkingEye as you've suggested if nothing sorted by then.

Many thanks again
  • nopcns
    nopcns Posts: 575 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A read of the Newbies/FAQ thread should be high on your list of priorities so that you get a better understanding of the different Plans (A, B, C and D) that you may need to take.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Very good news!
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm concerned about them doing searches at credit reference agencies - what gives them the right to do that?
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    prowla said:
    I'm concerned about them doing searches at credit reference agencies - what gives them the right to do that?
    It's a good thing (best practice) and is invisible - it's called a soft trace. I pushed the DLUHC to include it in the incoming Code of Practice and it's spelled out there.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback