Leaking Sewer for over 10 weeks - Yorkshire water / insurance help

Options

I’m not even sure what my question is or whether this is the right place

In short, we have a very large surface water sewer running down our drive 3m underground which has been leaking many years if it has risen 3m as it has caused a sink hole on my driveway. 1m x 1m  approx. and goes down around 4/5 foot.  Dye tests show it is caused by the pipe which belongs to Yorkshire water.  We found it 10 weeks ago as our block paving just gave way whilst driving over it.   It is still leaking to this day as Yorkshire water do not warrant it as a priority.

The leak has caused issues under the house in terms of wet damp earth smell, this has resulted in carpets smelling so bad, ottoman bed smelling, everything that is touching the floor downstairs smells so bad. All my kitchen cupboards have those humidifier boxes in, every one of them and flares my sons asthma up something chronic.  I called Yorkshire water 2 years prior to ask if the under-house smell could be the pipe on the drive, they said no and did no visit to check or anything like that.

I know you won’t be able to do anything in regard to that, but just setting the scene.

We were told by Yorkshire water they will not cover the cost of any damage even though they are liable as they have not touched the pipe for many many years, it is their main sewer and not a local drain. We must go through our insurance. Sooner rather than later in the words of our complaints manager. 

We have contacted insurance, who can’t fix anything yet anyway as the pipe is still leaking.

We are insured by Getsafe as recommended by USwitch.   No loss adjustor has attended site, they are just saying get quotes for the drive and they will pay it, however it goes further than this such as underneath the house needs an environmental clean etc and want to access the legal cover which is part of the insurance. .  The insurance cover ends on 18th may, they are no longer offering insurance as a company so we are unable to renew.

We are just very very worried that the drive won’t be fixed by then for the insurance to cover the damage.  We have logged the claim, but nothing can be done whilst the pipe is still leaking.

We are very much in limbo! Oh and to top it off, we had sold our house when we found the sink hole, which buyers have now pulled out due to this issue, not mentioning losing the moneys already paid to solicitors for selling our house 😢 we cannot put the house back for sale until it is fixed. The kids sleep upstairs and us downstairs which does not work for us, they are up every night shouting scared, with no sleep at all, we are desperate to move.

We are very scared that the company will cease with our claim still not completed.  Can anybody tell me, is there a chance we could be left high and dry here with no help from anybody?

Thank you so much, sorry if not the right place to ask. Yorkshire water is not interested, local MP is not interested, were not sure where to go and are very desperate.

Comments

• Auti
    Auti Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Environmental health, independent water complaints (google Yorkshire water complaints and follow the steps given to then complain to CCW who are the independent body to make sure customer voices are heard). Make sure you include evidence of affect on children’s health etc. 

your focus is on getting the pipe fixed as nothing can happen until that is done - your insurance company needs to outline exactly to you how they propose to continue with your claim after your policy ends as you (i think) should still be covered as by what you say they have accepted your claim now so it will be an ongoing claim until resolution of claim (claim made whilst iinsurance in force)

hopefully more people will come and help you 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure