Cat Having Funny Turns

Options
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this with their cat? My cat had a couple of incidents in Dec 22, and the vet said that it was epilepsy but only based on my descriptions and nothing other than blood tests, which were clear.

He never would never take the medicine and it was making his life a misery, (he would run when he saw me coming for him!) so we decided to leave him alone and see how he did without medicine. He never had any more incidents until one last Christmas.

He had another last week, and now one this morning. I will be taking him to the vet (although I will probably try a new one) but wondered if anyone has had this happen:

1. Cat happily sleeping
2. Wakes and starts to walk, stumbling, wide eyed
3. Then starts to panic, runs away, heading for a corner and falls over and lets out an awful howl, and starts thrashing about.
4. I cover him with a blanket and he calms down within a few seconds
5. When I remove the blanket, it is like nothing has happened and he rushes off to get some food!

Has anyone’s cat had episodes like these?

Comments

• Squierel
    Squierel Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It sounds like your cat might be having seizures. These episodes can be scary for both you and your pet. Definitely take him to the vet, and getting a second opinion is a good idea.

During a seizure, make sure your cat is safe from harm. You can gently cover him with a blanket until it passes. Keeping track of when these episodes happen can help the vet figure out what's going on.

Seizures in cats can be caused by various things, like epilepsy or other health issues. Your vet will do some tests to find out the cause and recommend the best course of action.

Remember, you're doing the right thing by seeking help for your furry friend.
  • MichelleUK
    MichelleUK Posts: 429 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you both for your comments!
  • Crazy_Critters_72
    Options
    I had a cat with seizures before.

They were prescribed diazepam and it controlled the seizures.

Maybe ask your vets about alternatives to pills or techniques you can use to administer pills.

Good luck.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure