Paid Council tax, but Council says I haven't?!

Options
I received a council tax bill in March 2024, I went to my online banking (Natwest) and set up a new payee...

I entered all of the bank details correctly of Bedfordshire Council, sort code/account number etc... entered the full amount for the year, which was £1,770.52.. and sent payment.

Saturday just gone (27th of April) I received a letter from the council stating I still owe them money for council tax for the following year. Ive emailed them and explained I have already sent payment to them using the bank details provided on the initial letter. I ask for clarity as to what happens next, as I have 100% sent the payment and I spoke to my bank too and they confirmed payment was sent.

Im here to ask, is it possible for me to reclaim the fee? If I can recall that payment from the 18th of March.. and then attempt to make payment again. The money couldnt have just vanished. I tripled checked the bank details, so name of council... account number and sort code and theyre all correct.

Im worried the council may say we have not received it and nobody can tell me where the funds are. It's not a small amount, I csnt just brush that to one side.

Comments

• JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Were you asked to add a reference to the payment - otherwise it's likely to just be in a holding account at the council.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    Options
    The number of people who pay in the way you have is very small. Most set up a direct debit. It’s likely they haven’t been able to connect up the payment to your CT account because the reference was not included.
  • andrew_savva
    andrew_savva Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    JGB1955 said:
    Were you asked to add a reference to the payment - otherwise it's likely to just be in a holding account at the council.

It didnt ask for a reference anywhere on the letter no, I have the letter in front of me and it doesn't say.

On the transaction I put a reference "Council Tax" but I believe this is just for my record tbh.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    The number of people who pay in the way you have is very small. Most set up a direct debit. It’s likely they haven’t been able to connect up the payment to your CT account because the reference was not included.
    I've done this with next. A phone call where they asked for my card details they found it in a holding account and moved it to my account 
  • andrew_savva
    Options

Shall I contact the council to enquite
    .. or contact my bank to try to get the funds back?
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options

Shall I contact the council to enquite
    .. or contact my bank to try to get the funds back?
     Phone them and check if you actually used the correct payment reference. See my post above 
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    You should have used your council tax account number.

There's no way for them to connect the payment to your CT account 

99.9% use Direct debit.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Did you pat the right Bedfordshire Council? There are 4 I believe in Bedfordshire 
  • andrew_savva
    Options
    marcia_ said:
    I've done this with next. A phone call where they asked for my card details they found it in a holding account and moved it to my account 

I pray its just this simple 👌🙏🙏🙏🙏 I will ring them on my lunch break today at 12
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,908 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Treat it as a life lesson, you cant just pay a large organisation and not put an account number in the reference, how do you think they would tie it to your account?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback