Urban Jungle - any opinions?

Options
They are offering the best (which is not saying a lot) of a bad set of home insurance quotes I've been able to find online.

Not heard of them before. Are they ok/bona fide people?

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,335 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My experience with them....

Firstly, their quote engine is misleading. I opted for a voluntary £500 excess for buildings and contents, not realising that it also applied to the 'all risks' section for which I was paying an additional premium and had maximum cover of £500! No warnings, and it allowed me to enter details of items to be insured under this section. Anyway, I had "free" excess cover: if an excess were deducted from my claim then the insurance would cover the amount of the deduction up to £250.

The worst happened, and my £500 bicycle was stolen. I put in a claim, and that point found that they were applying the excess to the 'all risks' section. Now, it would have been reasonable if they had provided a settlement note showing a nil payment because of the excess, but they simply refused to process the claim since nothing would have been payable. I put in a complaint and they said that a different company processed claims and would respond to the complaint. Six weeks have passed, and I have heard nothing.

In short: there are real people who responded to my claim, so I do not think it is a scam. However I think they score "null points" for customer service.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not heard of them before.
    I thought you were talking about the garden centres of that name!

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    My experience with them....

Firstly, their quote engine is misleading. I opted for a voluntary £500 excess for buildings and contents, not realising that it also applied to the 'all risks' section for which I was paying an additional premium and had maximum cover of £500! No warnings, and it allowed me to enter details of items to be insured under this section. Anyway, I had "free" excess cover: if an excess were deducted from my claim then the insurance would cover the amount of the deduction up to £250.

The worst happened, and my £500 bicycle was stolen. I put in a claim, and that point found that they were applying the excess to the 'all risks' section. Now, it would have been reasonable if they had provided a settlement note showing a nil payment because of the excess, but they simply refused to process the claim since nothing would have been payable. I put in a complaint and they said that a different company processed claims and would respond to the complaint. Six weeks have passed, and I have heard nothing.

In short: there are real people who responded to my claim, so I do not think it is a scam. However I think they score "null points" for customer service.
    All Risks/ Personal Possessions is a sub-section of the Contents cover and so is standard for the contents insurance excess to apply to it. There are plenty of people with old cars and excess that exceeds the value of it on a comp policy.

There is no settlement note to provide as the claim will simply be declined for being below the excess. You'd also need to check your excess insurance, many won't pay out anything on a claim thats below the excess of the policy. Used to be a common problem on Car Hire XS Ins but those have improved somewhat and now tend to cover below excess losses but then the excess on a hire car is normally in the thousands.
  • BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have dealt with them once - a pair of semi-detached houses, one with UJ and one with a 'premium' insurer.

Quite a lot wasn't covered by the UJ policy that was covered by their neighbours'.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback