🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What tool do i need to open this drain?

Options
I want to read my water meter but I have been trying to open the drain, what tool would be best or is their a certain one.
The water company are acting dumb not telling me if I can open it but they have not read it for the last five years and I want a more accurate reading.

Time Is The Enemy!

Comments

• mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Flat blade screwdriver in the little hole at the front? 
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A flat head screwdriver in that small gap on the bottom edge.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A lot of meters are read electronically by van driving past.
    Our meter reads are spot on & no one has been in the house to read it since it was installed years ago.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Spender£
    Spender£ Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    A lot of meters are read electronically by van driving past.
    Our meter reads are spot on & no one has been in the house to read it since it was installed years ago.
    I did not realise they could do that, they came and used a special tool after the first year of installation and it was caught on our doorbell camera but nothing for about five years, if they can do it electronic that would defo explain it.
    Time Is The Enemy!
  • jonnydeppiwish!
    jonnydeppiwish! Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As others have said, flat head screwdriver. Failing that, a normal knife 
    2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, are you trying to open it where the small slot is (on the bottom of the picture)? It should just lift from that edge up towards the top of the picture with the suggested screwdriver/knife etc. stuck in.
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How have you been trying to open it? Looks like a little panel on a hinge (where the hinge is closest to your foot in the picture). You should be able to lever it up by putting something like a flat head screwdriver in that little gap on the side furthest from you.
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • outtatune
    outtatune Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Very unusual for a water company to go 5 years without an accurate reading. When you get your bill/view your online account does it mark all the readings over the last 5 years as estimates?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure