update of mixed age couple / pension / HB and THANKS to certain posters

Options
Spicedpumpkin
Spicedpumpkin Posts: 153 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 29 April at 4:51PM in Benefits & tax credits
Just an update regarding my situation and a BIG THANK you to certain posters, that being @poppy1234 and @Spoonie_Turtle especially. Also to @calcotti for previous advice last year. 

Here is the thread

The best financial way after SP age for us personally was to us remain on legacy benefits and for that to happen my partner was to stop IS before SP age, my CB ESA to be reassessed and include a top of IR ESA, which would then lead to us still being able to claim HB before his SP age.

Just to add Age UK , Income Support and also some other places all said this could not be done. And HB I had to send a link to say it could

This took all so much time to do the ESA took about 5 weeks at least, then the HB was very slow in responding and sorting it out. I got an MP involved as the rent had not been paid for 8 weeks at London rates. I was getting desperate in the end.

So basically we now being being paid HB through my IR ESA
I am just waiting for my next payment of ESA to see what the rate is and how they have calculated it ,as my partner has just hit his state pension age within the payment times

So I may come back and check to see if the amount is correct. As his carers allowance has stopped now and we should be entitled to SDP couples now. Hoping once this is al sorted out we wont have to do anything until we move out of the borough or any large change in our circumstances.

In case anyone is planning to do this, I would certainly do it a minimum of 3 months in advance and have some money saved to try and pay any missed rent payments. We started about 2 months before and it took of worrying,dreaming about it constantly and making endless phone calls to chase everything up, but this maybe also that our council is not the best

AGAIN I CAN NOT THANK @poppy12345 enough for her endless replies to my queries at such a worrying time

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    "So basically we now being being paid HB through my IR ESA"

As far as I know, IR ESA would never pay Housing Benefit.

I think you mean that you have a IR ESA claim and a local Council Authority has agreed to pay Housing Benefit.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Spicedpumpkin
    Spicedpumpkin Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    huckster said:
    "So basically we now being being paid HB through my IR ESA"

As far as I know, IR ESA would never pay Housing Benefit.

I think you mean that you have a IR ESA claim and a local Council Authority has agreed to pay Housing Benefit.
    Yes, thanks for the correction . (Maybe, it should read "due to my entitlement" rather than "through")
    I mean we are entitled to have our HB paid due to the fact I am now on IR ESA as a working age benefit as a  mixed age couple.

The point of my post ,was really to thank specific posters, as they were invaluable in helping and guiding me through the correct stages.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback