Self employed tax refund delay

Options
Delboy-1212
Delboy-1212 Posts: 21 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 29 April at 8:59PM in Cutting tax
Hi, I’ve submitted my self assessment for 22/23 in October and have overpaid tax over 2k, I’ve requested a tax refund in November since then the status of the repayment has stayed on ‘’not yet used’’ I’ve rang multiple times each giving me a 3 week extended deadline that they will write to me or to call back, all they’ve said is additional security checks is the hold up, I’ve previously waited around 2/3 weeks before payment reaches me in previous years, the last time i rang April 15th, they have said it will be dealt with by November 2024, but could be sooner, with no more information???? 

has any one experienced this or is there anything further I can do to push it along or get the money I am owed? 

Thanks for reading 

Comments

• Phoenix72
    Phoenix72 Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What were your circumstances that led to HMRC accepting an in-year return? Unless you mean 22/23? 23/24 returns have only been issued this month and HMRC only accept in year in specific circumstances.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,660 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Phoenix72 said:
    What were your circumstances that led to HMRC accepting an in-year return? Unless you mean 22/23? 23/24 returns have only been issued this month and HMRC only accept in year in specific circumstances.

Usually death 😳
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Phoenix72 said:

Usually death 😳
    unlikely

Hi, I’ve submitted my self assessment for 23/24 in October 
  • Delboy-1212
    Options
    Phoenix72 said:
    Yes sorry meant 22/23 🤦🏼‍♂️ 
  • Delboy-1212
    Options
    Apologies I meant 22/23 tax year now edited been a long day 😅
  • Phoenix72
    Phoenix72 Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 April at 9:25PM
    Options
    Ok, so it's 22/23. The status of 'not yet used" is a new one on me, is that what it actually says?

Is it a CIS refund?

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, I’ve submitted my self assessment for 22/23 in October and have overpaid tax over 2k, I’ve requested a tax refund in November since then the status of the repayment has stayed on ‘’not yet used’’ I’ve rang multiple times each giving me a 3 week extended deadline that they will write to me or to call back, all they’ve said is additional security checks is the hold up, I’ve previously waited around 2/3 weeks before payment reaches me in previous years, the last time i rang April 15th, they have said it will be dealt with by November 2024, but could be sooner, with no more information???? 

has any one experienced this or is there anything further I can do to push it along or get the money I am owed? 

Thanks for reading 
    The person answering the phone has no idea when  your return will be reviewed . Nor will they have access to the section who will deal with it.

They answer they give is the standard one they have been told to give.

You  could try  a formal complaint about the delay.
  • Delboy-1212
    Options
    Phoenix72 said:
    Ok, so it's 22/23. The status of 'not yet used" is a new one on me, is that what it actually says?

Is it a CIS refund?

It’s a overpayment of tax via cis yes, when I log in to my account and on the payments/ credits received section it has the over payment amount and says allocation - not yet used, even though I’ve requested the repayment, 
  • Delboy-1212
    Options
    sheramber said:

Thanks for reading 
    The person answering the phone has no idea when  your return will be reviewed . Nor will they have access to the section who will deal with it.

They answer they give is the standard one they have been told to give.

You  could try  a formal complaint about the delay.
    One of the call handlers did suggest this, think it may be the next step for me

thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure